ReefCleaners.org

I made a mistake. Poor snail.

chufa

I bought a turbo snail today to aid my other turbo inits cleanup job. My first turbo snail coexists peacefully with my common striped hermit, so I thought no problem. At the LFS, I misjudged the size, and got a turbo snail that was quite larger thinking it was like the other one. Well, my hermit has decided it is his new shell and has constantly attacked it. I believe since the shell is larger he likes it, whereas the other turbo snail shell is smaller than his, so he's not interested. I hope the snail makes it through the night so I can trade it for a smaller one.

Isn't that just the way? Someone always has a bigger, nicer shell than we do!

Sorry to hear about your snail problems. Hope he makes it.

Thats why I have no crabs in my nano.;) I stick to nice snails:)

Although I'm tempted to buy a crab because there cool and add more variety...I resist :P

chufa

Had the same problem. What I finally did was go to the lfs and picked up a bag of decortive sea shells, got them home,put them in boiling water for a few minutes ,rinced them with tank water,and then picked a bunch that were close or a little bigger then the hermits shell already in the tank (blue & red). and put them in the tank. Worked wonders, had musical shells going on for a while. Have not found a snail dead/overturned in over 2 weeks now.

leslr.

I have some bigger shells in there, but they are occupied by bristleworms, and the big hermit stays out.

This morning when I found the snail dead (or dying), I was faced with a decision: should I remove it, or should I allow my critters to feast on escargot and let big hermie take the shell? I decided on the latter. I hope they are able to consume the thing before it fouls the water. If not, I'll remove it when I come back from work, hope its not too late before fouling occurs.

OK, I went back home for lunch, and the hermit was already in its new home. I removed what little was left of the turbo snail, just the "lid" with some little pieces of flesh attached to it. That was fast!

Inverts will make quick work of flesh in the tank. Apparently, snail must taste all right. I've never tried escargot, so I don't know. Apparently, crabs like it. So do peppermint shrimp, from what I gather.

Archived