Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Starter corals for a 10 gallon?

Billdemart

Hi Guys,

I am trying to do some research on what corals to get for my 10 gallon nano. This is my first tank so easier to keep is better for me. I have looked at the information on this site on the corals but its rather confusing. I can't find the ones I am looking for.

Anyhow, these are the corals I like

Moon Coral

Brain Coral

Torch Coral (Frogspawn?)

Xenia

Green Star Polyps

Zooanthids

Hammer

Bubble

1) Do any/all of these flourish in Nanos?

2) Which of these are hardy which are not? (Would you recommend all or some for beginners?)

3) Which have the least maintenence (feeding, additives, etc.)

Tank specs

10 gallon 20" rectangle

96W Coralife Quad 50/50 hood

Rio 90 and Rio 50 powerheads

20 pounds Kaelini Live Rock

10 pounds Live Sand

Instant Ocean Salt Mix 1.023

50W Ebo Jagr heater (constant 80 degrees F)

PH 8.0

Alk 4.5

Calcium - 400

I also plan on keeping one or 2 fish eventually. A perc clown and some type of goby or blenny. Not sure yet. Small cleaning crew and maybe a Scarlet cleaner shrimp as well.

Thanks for passing the knowledge!!!!

Bill

With your lighting you could keep all succesfully. BUT, since you are new to this id start out with the easiest of the group: GSP, Zoanthids and (you dont like shrroms?) Mushrooms/RIcordia. Once you get these guys jammin and your comfortable with keeping a better eye on your water qualty is when id maybe look into some of the others. Xenias are a good starter coral although some people jsut dont have luck with them.

No corals really HAVE TO HAVE supplements but its a good idea...... B-ionic is easy and works great,. If you have more questions HOLLA!

Bill, post a message on the Atanta forum about getting some xenia, they will give it to you! And I am sure you can get some zoos and stuff like that at the next meeting for free or cheap.

As for the corals you listed...I would stick with the zoos, mushrooms, xenia, Green Star Polyps (other polyps too). These are easy to take care of and go into the others once you have an established system and know a little more what you are doing.

they only thing I put in my water is, marine buffer, iodine, and reef complete, all seachem prodeucts...and these are working great for me. all my corals are nice and bright and growing like mad!

Bill, how is the cycle going, you done yet?

Originally posted by Raise

With your lighting you could keep all succesfully. BUT, since you are new to this id start out with the easiest of the group: GSP, Zoanthids and (you dont like shrroms?) Mushrooms/RIcordia. Once you get these guys jammin and your comfortable with keeping a better eye on your water qualty is when id maybe look into some of the others. Xenias are a good starter coral although some people jsut dont have luck with them.

No corals really HAVE TO HAVE supplements but its a good idea...... B-ionic is easy and works great,. If you have more questions HOLLA!

Thanks Raise, I will start with those then. No I'm really not a big fan of shrooms to be honest with ya. There are only a couple I have seen that really look cool. The rest I have seen have been pretty much "blah" but thats JMO.

Whats Ricordia is that the same thing? I have heard GSP spread like mad is that true?

Originally posted by bamann345

Bill, post a message on the Atanta forum about getting some xenia, they will give it to you!  And I am sure you can get some zoos and stuff like that at the next meeting for free or cheap.

As for the corals you listed...I would stick with the zoos, mushrooms, xenia, Green Star Polyps (other polyps too).  These are easy to take care of and go into the others once you have an established system and know a little more what you are doing.

they only thing I put in my water is, marine buffer, iodine, and reef complete, all seachem prodeucts...and these are working great for me.  all my corals are nice and bright and growing like mad!

Bill, how is the cycle going, you done yet?

Hey William,

I will post up on the Atlanta forum when I am ready. Good idea.

I'm really not sure what to think about the cycle. I had an ammonia spike a few days after I intoduced the LR and LS but never saw Nitrites.

I have had Nitrates for almost a week now. They are at 25 now. Not sure if I am done and need to do a water change or what.

Bill

Nitrates are the last thing in the cycle, do a small, 1 gallon water change and see what the tests show in a day or two, but I think your cycle is done....

Yeah I think its done too. I will do a water change tomorrow and see how it goes.

Wow Ricordia looks awesome. I need to get one of those.

Bill

Ricordia are a "special" kind of mushroom :)

They are awesome, 9 times outta 10 they will be more eye catching that run o the mill shrooms.

GSP does spread fast, alot of people put it on their sandbed so that it cant attach to any rock formations and spread :) I had mine on the sand for a while, but with my scaping i decided to put it on the rocks. So far so good :)

Archived