Top Shelf Aquatics

Externally Plumbing RemoraPro Skimmer

MK1SeaHare

So Im ditching my 10gal AGA in favor of a 20gal long for a little more capacity, and so that I can finally run my Remora Pro skimmer and see what It can do

Basically, the Remora has it's intake line right next to the little outflow "ramp"...so in my eyes, water that's being skimmed is being put out right near the intake, only to be skimmed again...I realize that in a 20gal tank, the turnover will probably allow for all the water to be skimmed, but this just seems inefficient to me. Instead, I want to have my Mag3 pump that powers the skimmer located OUTSIDE of the tank, behind it, out of view, while the return "ramp" still dumps into one end of the tank. The Mag3 will get it's water supplied via rigid PVC that runs along the bottom of the back of the tank, back up to the rim terminating in an upsidedown U intake. This way, water is being transported from one end of the tank to the other, creating more current, more mixing, and overall better performance.

Here is a basic diagram I made in paint (skillz, i know) of how I was thinking of running it, just wanted to make sure some experts saw it before I started bonding pipe.

20LdiagramSkimmer.jpg

so, how bad of an idea is this? Fatal flaws? Dangerous situations?

(and yes, I cross posted this thread in an effort to expedite worthwhile answers...the beginners forum wasn't doin' it for me)

I can understand why you want to do this but, I don't think it will make any difference.... Once water gets skimmed and dumped back in, that skimmed water will be instantly mixed with tank water. If what you are saying is true, then water near the skimmer will be cleaner then other parts of the tank. Sure, if our tank were ga-zillion gallons then it might make a difference but in 20gallon tank, it would be wasted PVC parts and effort IMHO.

I see your point, that the relatively small volume of water in the system would decrease the likelyhood of creating "dead spots" since my flow is going to be through the roof, and since my skimmer is rated for 75gal+ systems

My main issue with running the skimmer as directed is that I don't want the pump cluttering up my tank...Mag3's are HUGE!

There's a cheap little surface skimmer box you can get for the Remora.

It solves this problem, and also gets rid of the microbubbles coming from outlet.

Extra bonus is that it doubles as media space.

It works pretty well for me, and it won't flood your room.

little surface box? you must have a 200g+ tank for that beast to be little. lol

i think it'll work. but instead of the stock remora surface box, try to DIY your own. the remora one will take up quite a bit of real estate in a 20g long.

Tim

Archived