Pod Your Reef

Refugium w/ CYCLING okay?

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

Hey guys, I am in the process of cycling right now, I think I just got the amonia spike because my house is really starting to stink up!! I will do a water change today...

My main question is... can I add a fully matured Refugium to my set up at this point in time? Will it be okay?

Thanks!

I'm not a major (or probably even a minor) expert, but I'd say if you have a strong odor that your water change is quite important ASAP. Also, what are your tank specs?

I'm guessing from the way you mentioned that you are working with just LS/LR. If so, you can do a little larger than the standard 10-20% water change which should really help with your ammonia levels. If you have a cleaner crew or other livestock, be careful. Of course, a huge ammonia spike may cause their demise as well.

Also, a good test kit would be an excellent investment so you won't have to rely on your nose for future ammonia readings. :P I have the red sea test kit and it's pretty easy and gives good results from what I've seen. This way you'll be able to watch nitrite and nitrate levels as well and get an idea how your cycle is doing.

As for the refugium, I'll defer that to someone with more experience. ???

If you're just cycling, you should be pretty decent. Just make sure you have good circulation.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Dennis_said

Thanks! I did a 15% water change today taking Lizbeth's advice, but yeah, it's still pretty stinky, should I do another change tomorrow?

Still need to know your tank contents. If you have only LS/LR, you may be able to get by with the ammonia and help the cycling process. If you have any other livestock, they won't like the ammonia and changes are in your best interests. My personal thoughts are that if you can smell the ammonia you probably are due for a change.

Good luck!

Dennis_said

Ah okay

15g long

2x65W

Two Aquaglobe 200Fs

About 25 lbs of UNCURED live rock

About 30 lbs of the CaribSea Aragamax Ooglitic substrate

About 2 lbs of live Sand on top of the Aragamax

That's it :)

adding a mature fuge on to a cycling tank will more then likely wipe out most of the pods and bacteria in the fuge.

My advice would be to wait until the tank is cycled then add it on.

Dennis_said

Awesome, thanks Rocket, I'm just anxious :) I just needed more reiteration so that I would have a better consensus myself :)

Archived