Pod Your Reef

Think my GSP are dead?

LITTLEFISHEE

LITTLEFISHEE

Hello. I think I need so advice on my GSP. The problem started a few weeks ago, when I tested my KH and it was up to 17. I have it back at 12 now, but my GSP have not recovered yet. The old polyps haven't opened and are pressumed dead. However, the new polyps will open for a few hours a day, but there is no new growth. I asked a few people at my LFS if they will live, and the majority of them thought they would. Now, I also have about 6 zoos that have grown on the same rock, is it possible that they are taking over? I will try to post a pic later today or tommorrow.

My params:

ammonia: 0

trate: 0

trite: 0

specific gravity: 1.025

kh: 12

phosphate: 0

calcium: 400

pH: 8.3

freakaccident

I think they are probably still alive. Alkalinity seems to be still too high. With your 400 calcium it should be around 8ish dkh to be balanced I believe.

LITTLEFISHEE

Do you think if I get the alk down to 9 they should be okay? Everyone at the lfs has advised me to keep it at 12.

they should be ok...they are ike weeds...tehy look dead sometimes and jsut pop back...i agree you kh is a little high for htem. bring it down a touch. id say around 8-9 and they will be more hapy althoguh 12 shouldnt hurt them

harbingerofthefish

IMO as long as where the polyps aren't opening, you can still see little white dots, then you should be fine. I've had 1 bunch die off, and one bunch play dead for a month and then spring back with a flurry.

LITTLEFISHEE

Before I do anything, let me tell you guys what else I have that could be affected by a lower alk..

Hammer coral, pearl bubble coral, candy cane coral, mushroom anemones, zooanthids, tunicates, feather dusters, yellow polyps and a fungia (short tentacled). I am trying to post some pics, but I am technologically impaired and I need my other half to help.

harbingerofthefish

hmmm...well if the mat isn't brittle you should still probally be alright.

the colony I had that died...I reached in and touched the mat and pieces of it broke off. it had gotten crumbally. The mat is still in my tank, and after 6 months...nothing. Plus the dead mat is REAL dark colored. closer to black than purple now.

I had some GSP get damaged in shipping.. it grew a horrid white fungal infection much like cyano which destroyed 99% of the mat.. with constant circulation over the infected piece I was able to get the 3 polyps still alive to survive and regrow the entire rock that had been destroyed... GSP are hardy if nothing else.. if you can get the parameter's good and stable, you should have no problem getting them to regrow...

Archived