inTank Media Baskets

Electrical Outlets: how much is too much?

kailkaitan

How many things can you plug in using extension cords before you risk an electical fire??

I have two NO Fluorescents

The heater

The filter

That's only four but I still need to get a 28/32w 10k powercompact bulb from hellolights.com and thought about getting two screw-in 42w 6500k bulbs as well. I have a circline ballast that I took off the original 30w fluorescent bulb and am going to use that for the hellolights bulb. So actually, I will have three screw-ins since that ballast is set up that way. If that doesn't make sense, here's the thread that explains what I'm talking about:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...highlight=round

How could I set this up so I don't overload the outlet??? Thanx

Go to the hardware store or a computer store and get a power strip, they have built in circuit breakers in them. I have all my tank stuff hanging off one power bar.

V

Thanx, I have a power strip, I was just concered that I might have to much going into it. I don't know anything about power strips. I assume your saying if there's to much going into it it will shut the power strip off and not the main house circuit breakers??

SeaMountain

Hint: If you smell burning plastic... It might be too much! B)

Technically, if you add up all the amps each piece pulls and then compare it to the amp load of the curcuit you're plugging into you'll know what is safe.

If your really starting to lay in a bunch plugs you may want to consider increasing the amp size of the circuit breaker in your panel box. Get a REAL electrician to be sure it conforms to code.

15 Amps is standard house wiring. Typically more than just a single outlet is connected to each circuit so you may not be able to get a full 15 amps without tripping the breaker or blowing a fuse. You are no where near being in danger of tripping the thing with the stuff you have connected. You are probably using around 2 amps, even with additional lighting.

HTH

Cham

Archived