Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hydroponic?

Angel

I have a hydroponic light that has 400W metal halide. Could I use this for a future reef system? I know the 600 is out because you have to wear shades just to be in the same area as it is. B) The lighting system looks very similar (to what I have researched) and if I already have it and it will work, why not?

The lighting issue is still a sticky one with me and some of the terminology seems overwhelming or written in greek. I have been using PC because of fitting them in the DIY hoods worked better for me.

I wouldn't want to fry anything with 400W MH, so what could be the smallest tank to place this on? I have several choices (as I was just given three more tanks) to choose from. I do not want to go over a 20 long though.

Thanks in advance.

Angel

Hey Angel,

You'll need to check the color temp of the bulb as it may be one specifically designed for growing pot (plants that is), and it may not suit your reef keeping needs. although, if it's 6500K you might be ok with some actinics... but, you should get a new bulb anyway since the other one is probably old.

a 20 of any shape (normal/long/tall) would sit nicely under this light, especially if you want to keep SPS/Clams or other high light animals... if you're just keeping softies/mushies/zoos etc then you might want to stick with the PC lighting and save some money on your electricity bill..

-skeletor-

A 20 Long with a 400 watter would make a killer clam tank. The only problem would be heat dispersion under the hood. If you went with an open top configuration you could mount the light in a pendant to avoid that problem though.

I also agree with skeletor... you need to get a different bulb for it. I think most of those bulbs that can be used for hydroponics have a lot of yellow in the bulb's spectrum. Anything above 6500k would be good but anything under 20000k would probablky need actinic supplementation from some PC's. HTH :)

First off, I would like to say thanks! I knew I would have to change the bulb, as it does have a yellow tint to it. I have already been looking at new ones, just in case. I was given another 20 today, so I may use it for that tank after I get it cleaned up. The light would be suspended from the ceiling and is in its own casing, over the tank. I had wondered about the actinic supplement, for my viewing pleasure, making it a combo lighting system.

Originally posted by skeletor

a 20 of any shape (normal/long/tall) would sit nicely under this light, especially if you want to keep SPS/Clams or other high light animals

Originally posted by jojopus

A 20 Long with a 400 watter would make a killer clam tank.  

I wasn't sure what to set it up with, but sounds like I would have a chance with just about anything with this light (ideas flying around in my brain now).

Originally posted by skeletor

designed for growing pot (plants that is)

Who Me? :o:rolleyes:

Angel

Originally posted by Angel

The light would be suspended from the ceiling and is in its own casing, over the tank.  I had wondered about the actinic supplement, for my viewing pleasure, making it a combo lighting system.

Having the light in it's own pendant enclosure is going to mean not much heat transfered to the tank = good :-)

as the jojopus said, something like a 20K XM bulb isn't going to need any actinic supliments but anything lower might (it also depends on your personal preferance for tank color :). I was going to post the web site with pics of the same tank under a bunch of different HM bulbs but I can't seem to find it now. I'll try to remember where it was, must be because I'm still growing plants with my MH's....

-skeletor-

Archived