Pod Your Reef

Setting up Oceanic 58g RR

jamesjd

Any suggestions on the return pump size and type of pump to use for my 58g rr. The cabinet is 32" high and the pump will be sitting on the ground (or in pump if I go submersible) and it will be returning to the in-tank overflow so we are talking 3 ft.

I am considering either an Iwaki external or Ehiem submersible. Would 540gph be enough, the next step is around 800gph and I hate to start restricting flow and building up heat.

Look forwarsd to the feedback

Thanks

I would go higher flow rate. Take into account that each 90 deg bend in your plumbing is about 1' of head loss as well. I had a mag 7 on my 20 gallon.

Thanks, didn't think about the plumbing...

I will try and post a pic later, the Oceanic tank has the dark back glass and I'm still debating whether to leave it or just paint the back glass black. I'll get that pic up later today.

I've got about 50lbs of LR curing in the garage and need to get the tank up and running in the next few weeks B4 it gets too cold out there.

What kind of tank are you planning? I have the same tank, but prefer low flow to my sump for several reasons, so just about any pump will work. I have Hydors in the display providing the real water movement.

I am going with a reef of mostly softies, LPS and zoa's with a few fish. In the tank I'll use some Hydor Korelia pumps for water movement. I'm going to put my Red Sea Berlin skimmer in the sump.

I've got an SPS/LPS/Zoa reef in that one, a couple rics eventually, two clowns. I've got an Octopus NW-150 in the sump, which turns out is actually a nicer skimmer than I expected. Anyway, it's an awesome tank size. Tall enough that you have have high light lovers up top, and wide enough that you can fit a bit in, but still small enough that water changes are easy. I like the low flow through the sump for the fuge and because of the way I occasionally run carbon or phosban with my DIY reactor. I stuck my heater in the overflow area to save even more room in the sump and the hydors force the water all around.

Smaller tanks are somewhat new to me, I had a 180RR but lost everything when Katrina decided to put 10ft of water in my house. I've relocated and am now ready to "dive" back in. Initally was going with the Red Sea Max but the 24" front just seemed to small and the distortion of the curved glass I wasn't wild about. The "better half" is making me keep this tank nice and neat with no cords etc handing around and in the new condo, I have a corner and wall so the 36" lenth of the 58g works perfect. Also, I found a sweet deal on this Oceanic tank, I've never had a tank with a dark glass back.'Bout the only thing I was able to salvage from my 180 set up was a new and unused mag 18 pump that was in my car. Of course, that would be way too much pump for the return on this tank.ccaragol, What kind of pump are you using for the return, I was going to put Chemi pur and Purigen in the sump until I can DIY a hang on fug on the back of my sump. Also, will definately take that idea of putting the heater in the overflow. What kind of lights do you have on the tank?

• 2 weeks later...
Smaller tanks are somewhat new to me, I had a 180RR but lost everything when Katrina decided to put 10ft of water in my house. I've relocated and am now ready to "dive" back in. Initally was going with the Red Sea Max but the 24" front just seemed to small and the distortion of the curved glass I wasn't wild about. The "better half" is making me keep this tank nice and neat with no cords etc handing around and in the new condo, I have a corner and wall so the 36" lenth of the 58g works perfect. Also, I found a sweet deal on this Oceanic tank, I've never had a tank with a dark glass back.'Bout the only thing I was able to salvage from my 180 set up was a new and unused mag 18 pump that was in my car. Of course, that would be way too much pump for the return on this tank.ccaragol, What kind of pump are you using for the return, I was going to put Chemi pur and Purigen in the sump until I can DIY a hang on fug on the back of my sump. Also, will definately take that idea of putting the heater in the overflow. What kind of lights do you have on the tank?

(had the same setup)

i have a mag7 used for 1 wk. if your interested. 60 shipped. literally brand new. with box and what not. alsoa tunze 9010. used for 1 wk. with everything (box etc) for 315 shipped. a

Sorry for the late reply, my return pump is actually a Mag 2. Low flow, but works great, skimmer is happy and so is the refugium. I use Hydors in the display to move the water. You can save electricity this way as well. If you're relying on your return pump for water movement, you're just using a lot of energy and loosing a lot to head loss. Hydors use only a couple of watts to move a large amount of water.

run a small pump, i used to run a panworld pump on my 58 and the microbubbles was a huge problem and the only way i could calm that was to turn the flow down. like someone said the best idea is to run a smaller pump and use a few powerheads

Thanks, I plan on going with the smaller pump and have the Hydor's ( I'm goingto use the Hydor 2's in the tank for water movement.

I'm just painting the cabinet now and should be ready to set up next week. Having a hell of a time finding a 18" standpipe silencer, everyone is sold out of the Stockman's.

Will get up pics once the tank is on the stand. Still want to see how the dark tinted glass will look before I actually go ahead and paint it black.

Archived