Cultivated Reef

Starting New- Finnex 30gal. T5 Lighting

HammyDavisJr

Is 3 weeks enough time for going from dead rock to enough live rock to filter that much life already? I'm just curious because your rock still looks pretty not-alive?

The pics don't really show the coraline that I have going. There are some pretty large patches in the display.

It had a full cycle by week 3. Added my snails etc to clean up for another week. Did multiple large water changes throughout the cycle. Tested my levels several times a week...things are stable.

The pics really don't do the rock justice.

I'm getting some green coraline, it looks interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
HammyDavisJr

Here are a few new pics from the last few weeks. The color probably looks off because my ballast for my actinics is not working. I have to order a new one from Finnex.

Torch Coral

DSCF3459.JPG

Zoos.

DSCF3461.JPG

Shrimpy!

DSCF3468.JPG

FTS

DSCF3477.JPG

those are True Perculas right? if so they look liek a great pair and it looks like their colors are gonna be awesome!

HammyDavisJr
those are True Perculas right? if so they look liek a great pair and it looks like their colors are gonna be awesome!

One True Perc

One False Ocellaris

They are screwballs!

Actinic Ballast went bad on me. Spoke to Ken at Finnex. My tank is well over 6 months old (not under warranty), but I've only had it set up for about 3 months now. He's giving me a deep discount on a new ballast, and inlcuded shipping.

Very happy with their response.

Thanks Finnex!

I hope to pick up some frogspawn and possibly a Yasha or High Fin Goby to round out my fish population.

That happened with my actinics too, though I think it was bad wiring. Ken sent me a new ballast on the house (almost a year ago mind you) but I never had to end up using it thank goodness, nice to have a backup though for sure just in case. FYI, they aren't into freebies anymore though unfortunately, but I don't mind paying to replace stuff after a year of ownership now though. I already had to purchase a new drip tray since my original broke in half, so I ordered 2 of them just to play it safe.

That happened with my actinics too, though I think it was bad wiring. Ken sent me a new ballast on the house (almost a year ago mind you) but I never had to end up using it thank goodness, nice to have a backup though for sure just in case. FYI, they aren't into freebies anymore though unfortunately, but I don't mind paying to replace stuff after a year of ownership now though. I already had to purchase a new drip tray since my original broke in half, so I ordered 2 of them just to play it safe.

Nice,

I installed my new ballast tonight and everything fired back up with no problems.

• 1 month later...

Not much to add. I've been busy with work and being a Dad, so the tank upgrades have come slowly.

I did pick up a Yasha last week, but he's hiding in the back. He's eating and healthy. I'm hoping to pick up a Randalli this week and I might build them a PVC home in a nice spot in the tank.

Got a new FrogSpawn. It's already got a new head on it.

DSCF3601.JPG

Misc Zoos..Green Bay packers? They are having a hair algae issue, so they are spending some time in TEH DARKZ0R!

DSCF3605.JPG

GSP, Red Mushroom and some other random things.

DSCF3604.JPG

Candy Cane, splitting like mad...and some red/brown zoos.

DSCF3609.JPG

FTS. My torch is happy.

DSCF3618.JPG

Is it nice having the fuge and protein skimmer come with the tank? I'm debating upgrading to the 20g Finnex from my NC12g. The only problem I'm seeing is I don't know if it would allow me to attack my light fixture. Do you like your Finnex tank? Looks nice to me :D

Is it nice having the fuge and protein skimmer come with the tank? I'm debating upgrading to the 20g Finnex from my NC12g. The only problem I'm seeing is I don't know if it would allow me to attack my light fixture. Do you like your Finnex tank? Looks nice to me :D

I really like it. I replaced the skimmer with a Tunze 9002 and it works great.

It's a very easy tank to set up and I really like it so far.

I really like it. I replaced the skimmer with a Tunze 9002 and it works great.

It's a very easy tank to set up and I really like it so far.

That's good to hear. The one thing I keep getting aggravated with is not being able to see into my rear chambers without a flashlight. I also want a protein skimmer so I can get a nem eventually but there just seems to be nowhere to put one on a NC12g. And the size, it's so small which means less coral :angry:

I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks :D

• 2 months later...
HammyDavisJr

Another update.

Haven't been adding much new stuff, just letting the old stuff grow. Actually I got a new digi cam and wanted to play with it. ;)

Frownie False Perc

IMG_0078_(Large).jpg

Torch

IMG_0184_(Large).jpg

Why is my false perc SO ANGRY!?

IMG_0187_(Large).jpg

Blue Legged Hermit.

IMG_0221_(Large).jpg

FrogSpawn

IMG_0224_(Large).jpg

FTS

IMG_0181_(Large).jpg

Here is a little video of my Yasha coming out of hiding. I've been trying to find him a Randall's pistol, but it's been tough. He's getting more and more brave every week.

HammyDavisJr
Tank is looking great!

Thanks! As you can see, I'm taking it ridiculously slow...not because I want to, but because I don't have time to spend on it. So I just keep it clean, and watch my little corals grow into big ones.

Now if I can just find a Randall's pistol...hmmm...

• 1 month later...
chvynva916
Whoa, holy coralline in the forst pic!! :o

Echo that! Any tips for that kind of explosive coralline growth?

Phixion, did you ever mod the overflow on your Finnex tank to allow more water through? Mine gets clogged too quickly and I'm considering removing some slats.

Phixion, did you ever mod the overflow on your Finnex tank to allow more water through? Mine gets clogged too quickly and I'm considering removing some slats.

Yup I did a couple weeks ago. I updated some Finnex thread about it, lol! But yeah, it helped tremendiously. No more clogged grating and the display water level dropped too about a half inch. B)

HammyDavisJr

Keep up with water changes. That's all I'm doing.

I got a new tiger pistol shrimp last night. Acclimated him, he dove right in and started digging. Came home last night, didn't see him (no big surprise) and then saw what looked like Pistol shrimp 'parts' being picked on by hermit crabs. It looked like a molt, mostly just exoskeleton and no 'meat'.

Hopefully he just molted due to the stress of being in a new tank, and is hiding away in the rocks. I've never lost any live stock right after an acclimation, so I'd feel bad if this pistol was the first.

IMG_0883%20(Large).jpg

IMG_0884%20(Large)%20(2).jpg

Digging away immediately after putting him in the tank...god I hope he just molted and didn't die.

IMG_0887%20(Large).jpg

HammyDavisJr

Still no sign of Pistol Shrimp....lame.

Was messing with my camera the other day and took some pictures.

I have some red macro stuffed in my back corner. My True Perc loves to hide in there and hang out.

I HAS A HOUSE!

IMG_0973%20(Large).jpg

Messing with color settings on camera.

IMG_1016%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1023%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1019%20(Large).jpg

True Perc.

IMG_1045%20(Large).jpg

Fins, True Perc.

IMG_1047%20(Large).jpg

False Perc Female...bully...

IMG_1059%20(Large).jpg

True Perc

IMG_1063%20(Large).jpg

OH HAI!

IMG_1064%20(Large).jpg

The false perc can't find her way into the house.

IMG_1081%20(Large).jpg

HammyDavisJr
You find the Pistol Shrimp yet? Put some food and hopefully he comes out.

Nope. :(

I did wake up today to find my skunk cleaner shrimp had died....recently too.

just tested salinity, nitrate, ammonia and everything is fine...weird..

Maybe pistol i still in hiding and blasted him...I don't know...

mixing up a big water change right now.

He was over 2 years old, so maybe it was just his time to do.

Archived