SaltCritters.com

Clownfish takes to Condy in record time!

tinyreef

not exactly nano stuff but...

i transplanted an aggressive clown from my nano to my display tank to protect my baby cowfish. (well heck, even a turbo snail's aggressive when you compare it to a cowfish X) )

there was another clown already in my display tank (which was having a rough time with my new yellow tang). the clown and my royal gramma were getting beat up lately for lunch money by the tang. i was hoping to remove an aggressor from the nano and give reinforcements to the embattled clown at the same time.

the 'old' clown hosts with a condy (which the tang ain't afraid of at all for some reason, sometimes looks like it even wants to host too!) and i wasn't sure how long the new clown would take to host or even be accepted by the old clown. ime it took either a couple of days to never.

this new guy is now hosting after three hours! i've never heard of such a fast acclimation by a 'foreign' clown. they're both romping in the condy now and the tang's in a corner (jealous probably :P ). just figure i'd share and see if anyone's seen such a fast acclimate. i've always suspected the 'new' clown was wc, i don't know if that figures into it at all tho.

killahbeez2000

Well im not so sure i bought a matured TANK RAISED pair of occelaris i purchased. the second i put them in they took a lap around the tank and dove right into the condy anemone. My yellow tang is alos not affraid of it and acts like it wants to host along with the clowns they all get along. looks like we both got lucky.

• 8 months later...

How long does it normally take for Clarkii's or clowns in general to host? I've only had my condy anenome for about 4 days - the juvenile clarkii stares at it but doesn't go up to it. He sleeps at the base of the xenia at night.

I've seen that thread before... and the circumstances behind the the clown's death were not said. It is likely that it was sick or injured... or the condy was not being fed.

Archived