Innovative Marine Aquariums

undergravel filter help

powderblue

can I put live sand over my undergravel filters or should I put some gravel and then livesand, I'm just worried that if I put gavel then sand the filter may not be able to suck up the water. Thanks in advance!:)

So I should take it out and add live sand (no gravel) then put live rock on the live sand and thats all? And whats the difference between a power head and a filter? Also whats wrong with under gravel filters?

Orange Crush

yes.

powerhead just moves water. filter has a compartment to hold filtration media.

LR/LS is your filtration method for a nano. UGF is a different method and does not provide the amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize that LR does.

The UGF will be virtually useless for you in a reef. the LS is going to be too fine for a good flow through the plate and plus you're going to get a lot of dead zones because of the LR. Like everyone said best not to bother with it and just get yourself a nice mini PH and maybe a HOB that should take care of your water flow and the LR LS combo should provide enough filtration.

I'm just starting my Nano out too.

Dio

thanks all. Does anyone know how much a powerhead or HOB commonly runs for in the U.S.? (I'm real low on cash) thanks again!:) :*( :P : ??? :) X) B)

Usually around 20 bucks for a small HOB and around 10-20 bucks for a smaller powerhead. It dosn't matter where you buy one. I have a rio 180 and a aqua-clear HOB on my 7, they work great for me. The cheaper you can find them the better :)

i dotn know the effects this would have on a SW set up, but there is a way to get sand over a ugf. i read an article soem place about placing panty hose over the UGF so the sand wont sift right through. i dont think it is needed, but im not the person to talk to about hte effects it will on the tank.

Andy: the problem about the UGF isn't really that the sand would fall through. It's just that with the smaller particles of sand used in SW it can easily get clogged thus reducing the amount of flow through the plate and supplying less oxygen. There is also the problem of dead zone due to the LR on top of the sand and plate. Overall the filter wouldn't be able to get enough oxygen to support a viable bio filtration cycle for your tank. The same thing applies to FW in my experience...it's a matter of substrate

i have been looking for powerheads for a LONG TIME that are small enough for my 7g, that is, one that wont overtake it. I have a zoo med power sweep 214, and i got it for 20 bucks (VERY small, and almost no noise). I also have a penguin mini HOB for extra water movement, and the best part is that it doesnt take up any room in the tank

Kat: I use a very tiny powerhead that's made by a chinese firm. it's super tiny and produces a good amount of circulation it's suppose to do 60G an hour, but I'm thinking it's more like 52G from what I'm seeing. I don't know if you can get it over there the company that makes it is called Resun. Since I'm a newbie I don't really know how reliable this equiptment is though, but it's darn cheap I can tell you that.

I am new to SW, but have done FW for many years, and th UGF was fine in its day. But its day has come and gone. They are a pain in the back side. I can't believe that the stores are still selling them. There is so much more better things to use.

Archived