Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

anemones...help!

katydidit

Nishant3789

Theres no per say "correct" amount of light, there are too many factors to judge that. i take back my comment about the facts if you wanna be nit picky about it. but wharent you willing to just add the extra 32 watt or more light onto it? if its just to SPITE us, then thats just immature, i think if your going to spend 300 on a tank you may as well spend 50 bux more to not only keep the anenome a little happier, but to be able to keep a wider range of corals too.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nishant3789

.....shakes head..........pikelet we are trying to PROVE our maturity u dummy! To everyonelse: hes not with us

Originally posted by Nishant3789

.....shakes head..........pikelet we are trying to PROVE our maturity u dummy! To everyonelse: hes not with us

There is plenty of time for maturity when we're dead.

P.S. GO ME!!!!! 1/10 for helpfulness

Conclusion, anenomes can be tough.

There is nothing in that 'book report' which is essentially a Readers Digest condensed version of Joyce's book, which even mentions nano's.

And, I have the book itself, have read it, and have a fair understanding of it. Maybe if you had actually read the book, you would hav e caught the point where Joyces mentions that they have one guy who has some anenomes which has survived for several years, and keeps splitting, and is just under 2 40w NO lights.

Nowhere have I seen anyone mention that Anenomes need wave action to 'wash' itself clean of bacteria which grows on its mucus exterior. Now, how many nano's or tanks have waves?

And, that a bit different than a simple power head pushing flow.

Also, I haven't seen where anyone has made the link between anenomes on a reef with massive water flow, and compared that to tank kept anenomes with only simple flow which doesn't really 'wash' them, and the fact that they are in water which probably has very high concentrations of aliopathic toxins given off by multiple corals.

However, the article poster was smart enough to key in on the fact that Anenomes need proper feeding, and do not subsist on light alone for very long.

With that extra information, that was not given by the article poster or by you, are what leads me to believe anenomes are not really suited to most nano's and why many people can't keep them in larger tanks.

That should be a bit closer to actual 'facts' I would think.

Originally posted by Ike

OK enough.

You want links and facts then read this.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen8.html

Conclusion...anemones in a nano is a bad idea.

Ike

The reasons I don't want to add more light....

#1 Increased heat would require a chiller, or fan. I'm already borderline with heat issuse in my climate with 1 32w fixture.

#2 I'm running a hob on the tank, with a skimmer and heater in it. To add the other light would mean removing, and relocating the shimmer, heater, and putting a PH in the tank. All of which I don't want to do. Thats why I bought a hob big enough to take care of the heater,skimmer, and water flow.

#3 I like the stock appearance of the tank, and I don't want to use a light fixture that sits above the with legs to clear everything. I don't think it looks good.

So you see, with any option, I have to sacrifice something to gain more light. The filter/water flow/ heater set-up I have is working wonderful, and I don't want to change that. The look of the outside of the tank looking like it belongs in the room they are in is also as important to me as what the inside of the tank looks like.

Apparently, there is a lot of disagreement about anemones on this board. It reminds me of the "If you don't have at least a 30 gallon tank, you can't be in the reef hobby." argument of a few years ago. Well, maybe 10 years ago.

The sad part of this hobby is that beutiful living creatures die, and die often. This is how the hobby started, and this is the way the hobby will continue. They die in shipping, they die in the LFS, they die in horrid toxic tanks, and they die in the most beautiful "natural" ones. Amateurs and experts alike have failures. Some animals should not be gathered or sold, but they are. I for one hate to see the shark eggs in the LFS. I mean they're neat to look at, but I know they end up in some tank that is too small for the shark. They are sold, however; and I am not a person that will take up "the call" to the crusade.

I have a sensitive spot for anemones. When I first got into this hobby, it was with a FOWLR tank. I saw a BTA in the LFS, and since I had a maroon clown, I thought "wouldn't it be neat if." The people there didn't know anything about the care of anemones. If they had, they would have warned me not to buy it with my setup back then. It all of course ended as badly as it could. I have never considered an anemone since. That's my choice.

I personally believe that the mortality rate is too great for me to attempt one at this time in any size of a tank. I don't fault those that are willing to try it though, as long as their intentions are good, and their research is responsible. I mean, after all, if no one would have taken the chance to rebuke old dogmatic principles, we wouldn't be in this forum today enjoying the success we've had with the size of tanks we own. I for one would still be out of the hobby.

Anyway, my wandering point is this. If you feel that you can create a "proper" environment for an anemone, then by all means try it. I've seen plenty of livestock die in LFS tanks that may have had a better chance in a different environment, even if is is considered "just par".There has been argument on both sides of failure and success here so I would think that the possiblity of both linger out there somewhere. Learn the signs of anemone degradation, and try to catch it in time, and find a better solution if it comes to that. That's as responsible as we can sometimes be in this hobby.

I hope that if anyone takes the initiative to house anemones, that they take the time to report here their failures as well as their successes. It's the only way that the community will ever know what these creatures need to survive, as well as to thrive.

OscarBeast

The sad fact is that most "host" anemones can and will outgrow a nano if they are healthy and you are feeding properly. The other reason that they don't make good animals for a nano is the way they release sudden large amounts of waste into the tank from time to time creating a huge spike which can be bad news in a small volume of water.

With a little research though, there is no reason why someone can't keep an anemone. Most simply require the tank to be setup for their needs.

In general, this means protecting them from powerheads and overflows, providing them with the correct place to attach, feeding them properly, putting them under the correct lighting, making sure the water is "clean", and making sure they won't outgrow their tank or put too heavy of a bioload on it. In addition, you should pick out a healthy anemone to start out with. While there are exceptions, don't pick out a pretty "white" anemone because it is probably bleached. For most anemones, you can have only one per tank unless they are clones.

Nishant3789

hey Yup, why dont you try this out? http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html its a full hood and would make the anemone Alot happier, have you already baught the 32 watt? this 96 watter has 2 FANS BUILT INside the hood, so it means less evaporation since the fans not blowing at hte water. I dont understand what you mean by the heater and all if you dont wanna move it then dont, the hood fits right on the tank, push it a little florward if you want more room in the back. the light is very nice looking asthetically. Ill stop complaining if you get a light. im all for crossing borders and all but lets be practical

"If you feel that you can create a "proper" environment for an anemone, then by all means try it."

So lets take it one step at a time. oh yeah im curious as to your experience with other reef tanks much less nano tanks?

Originally posted by UncleTed

Apparently, there is a lot of disagreement about anemones on this board.  It reminds me of the "If you don't have at least a 30 gallon tank, you can't be in the reef hobby." argument of a few years ago.  Well, maybe 10 years ago.  

Anyway, my wandering point is this.  If you feel that you can create a "proper" environment for an anemone, then by all means try it.  I've seen plenty of livestock die in LFS tanks that may have had a better chance in a different environment, even if is is considered "just par".There has been argument on both sides of failure and success here so I would think that the possiblity of both linger out there somewhere.  Learn the signs of anemone degradation, and try to catch it in time, and find a better solution if it comes to that.  That's as responsible as we can sometimes be in this hobby.  

I hope that if anyone takes the initiative to house anemones, that they take the time to report here their failures as well as their successes.  It's the only way that the community will ever know what these creatures need to survive, as well as to thrive.

Uncle Ted, out of all the arguments/disagreements that have been posted on this thread, i would like to thank you for your post most of all. Dont criticize others by what you have 'heard' is right, because thats what started this mess...If you have had an experience with BTA's (like yup) then AWESOME, share your experience and let us know how it went! good or bad, it might open up some peoples eyes as to what IS possible.

I have no problem with the arguments for/against in this thread at all, it's the attitude that: well, if the anem dies, I guess I was wrong. Just a strange attitude that I don't subscribe to, but you're all entitled to your own approach.

Not in there yet, but it will have a 150 halide over it before it does go in, as opposed to the 96w of PC it has now. It's a 5th generation clone split that is currently in a 55 gal tank with 2x175 halides on it right now, so I figure that the depth being roughly half of the original tank, the change in actual light intensity shouldn't be too far off.

I'll be sure to post progressive pics and info along the way.

I'll be sure to post on the progression for sure.

Nishant3789

"If you have had an experience with BTA's (like yup) then AWESOME, share your experience and let us know how it went! "

what the hell, absalutes got more experience with BTAs than anyone i know.

i don't think anyone here really wants to see an anenome die. or any creature for that matter. i think some people just took offense to being told no that won't work. you HAVE to do it this way.

now from what i have read in this post and in my research i have come to the conclusion that we don't know jack sh!t about these wonderful creatures. there have been a hundred diffrent studies and each one has come to a completely diffrent conclusion.

what we do have is a few generalisations which are good rules of thumb. not necessairly a law, like to keep a reef system you have to use salt water. not fresh. but more or less guide lines. guide lines i'd like to see followed but there are many exceptions that have worked before and i'm sure there will be more exceptions as the hobby continues to grow.

the guide lines are:

1) lots of light

2) uber clean water

3) being able to deal with the bio load

4) responsible reefing (no reef'tards)

5) providing the anenome with a habitat as close to his natural one as possibly.

no i know these aren't hard fast rules. but the are somthing we should ALL take in to consideration before we purchase an anenome or any other creature for that matter.

Nishant3789  "If you have had an experience with BTA's (like yup) then AWESOME, share your experience and let us know how it went! "

you have a point bro you have a point.

Nishant3789

and we pushed abs away. honestly i think u guys are just looking to spite us all. chances are you will upgrade your lighting anyways int he future

Hell, I'll have a gorgeous hood up fro grabs after my halide comes in: fits 3x32PC's, countersunk holes on either end for 3" fans, and an open back for any type of filtration you want or need.

no, i do understand (and appreciate) absolutc sharing his thoughts and ideas, especially because he has experience with BTA's. I just think that if more people would share their personal experiences (everyone) then it would benefit a lot of us debating the issue. No matter how easy it is to succumb to just one persons advice, i like to hear many opinons...it doesnt mean i dont believe the person who gave advice to begin with at all...i just like to know how everyone else dealt with a BTA and if they would or wouldnt recommend it. Thats all.

Nishant3789

well thats a good way to do research, but more than one persons telling you to get more light. i hope you choose the best possible choices for your animals. im done

hey Yup, why dont you try this out? http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html its a full hood and would make the anemone Alot happier, have you already baught the 32 watt? this 96 watter has 2 FANS BUILT INside the hood, so it means less evaporation since the fans not blowing at hte water. I dont understand what you mean by the heater and all if you dont wanna move it then dont, the hood fits right on the tank, push it a little florward if you want more room in the back. the light is very nice looking asthetically. Ill stop complaining if you get a light. im all for crossing borders and all but lets be practical  

"If you feel that you can create a "proper" environment for an anemone, then by all means try it."

So lets take it one step at a time. oh yeah im curious as to your experience with other reef tanks much less nano tanks?

This is for a 7 gallon mini bow.... That light is 20" long, it won't fit over the tank without hanging off the sides...I won't do that. I already have the 32w retro, and there a 2X32w that will fit the tank just barely.....It measures 15"X6.5", but I would have to remove the HOB and everything in it b/c you can't slide the light

forward.... I won't do that either.

There are a few posts a saw a long time ago, and can't find now, of people who have used the 2X32 on the bows, and they had said it won't fit with a HOB.

I agree more light would be better, but as stated before I don't think 2-32 watt bulbs will put out any more then 1-32w bulb, you'll just get more coverage. And I also think the 32w I have is adequate.(period)

As for the issue of adding more bulbs of the same intensity to get more intensity, I'm sticking to my theory and saying that bologna, until I hear otherwise from a lighting expert. Which I am waiting for a reply from.

I see this in multiple forums, whether reef, embedded circuit design, almost anywhere there is discussion. No matter how 'experienced' someone is, if they can't communicate to other people in a civil manner, then they will be rebuffed.

Sorry, but but when some 23-ish year old, or anyone, starts calling reputable, internationally known experts dummies, but can't back up their own claims with something factual?

That comes across as ####ant know-it-alls.

Abs conduct, and inability to provide counter-facts is what did him in. You want to have a pity party for the poor 'victim', be my guest.

"i think u guys are just looking to spite us all' Don't presume to speak for anyone else but yourself.

and we pushed abs away. honestly i think u guys are just looking to spite us all. chances are you will upgrade your lighting anyways int he future

Archived