Pod Your Reef

Lost 70% of my fish in the last week!?

Tworoads

so my tank is a 36 gallon nano cube. it has been running for about 8 months. i do 10 gallon water changes ever other weekend. the water parameters are good and have been since cycling.

in the last week or week and a half i have lost 8 fish. that might sound like a lot for a nano cube but i have bought new ones and old ones die. basically what im getting at is the tank is not over stalked.

anyway, my fish start by looking like they got sunburnt. i mean, they look the way human skin looks when we get sunburnt. sort of like their top layer or skin is pealing off. the look kind cloudy white and flaky.

any ideas?

i will take a picture after work but i wanted to post right away.

thanks for the help.

tworoads

Sounds like the slime coat is peeling off....I would say something to do with ammonia burns as well.

Also with 10g water change that is a bit much...what kind of water are you using and how are you mixing your salt if you mix your own. Another thing, are the fish you are getting healthy to begin with? sometimes you can introduce bacteria and stuff from the LFS which your fish are not accustomed to and that can be the culprit as well.

Sounds like the slime coat is peeling off....I would say something to do with ammonia burns as well.

Also with 10g water change that is a bit much...what kind of water are you using and how are you mixing your salt if you mix your own. Another thing, are the fish you are getting healthy to begin with? sometimes you can introduce bacteria and stuff from the LFS which your fish are not accustomed to and that can be the culprit as well.

Hi

im pretty sure they fish are healty when i buy them. I use RO/DI and i mix it myself. I have a refracometer and make sure its the same temp and salinity. I checked my ammonia and its near zero. i guess its possible that i missed the spike though as i dont check the water as often because its older.

also, i got a fish since this started happening and i know there is no ammonia now and this morning he looks sunburned too.

Do you have any fish left?

I would slow down replacing the fish until you can have one last.

Also what kind of fish are you adding?

yeah...4.

a claki clown that im sure will be dead when i get home,

an anthias

and 2 cardnals.

i wont be adding anything for a while!

i just wish i knew what was going on!

Archived