Cultivated Reef

nanoreeferpdx's 3gal pico (Tom deco)

nanoreeferpdx

Gorgeous tank! I am setting one of these up for my son's for Christmas. One question though, do these have a cover over the tank or are they open topped? It looks like there is a cover but I want to be sure. I think that would help greatly for evaporation purposes..

Thanks

Spankey

If I remember correctly, this one has a lid, but the 3g JBJ Picotope does not.

• 2 weeks later...
nanoreeferpdx
Gorgeous tank! I am setting one of these up for my son's for Christmas. One question though, do these have a cover over the tank or are they open topped? It looks like there is a cover but I want to be sure. I think that would help greatly for evaporation purposes..

Thanks

Spankey

It does have a lid to keep evaporation rate down. I found that if you do keep the lid on, don't fill the tank too full or you'll have lots of salt creeps.

nanoreeferpdx

Time for an update on the tank. Everybody's doing well and growing nicely, especially the zoas. I do a 10% water change every week. The only problem I have right now is the algae growing on the walls, the snails can't seem to get it off and i tried scrubbing with a small cloth but it's not working. I'm afraid to use a scraper on the acrylic; any ideas?

Here are some pictures:

IMG_9288.jpg

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9293.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

nanoreeferpdx
Filling in very nicely. Glad to see the fish seems to be going strong. What temp are you keeping the tank at?
The tank stays constant at 78-79. He's doing well, still eating like a pig!
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is that coral in the last picture?Beautiful little tank!ThanksOlivia
Thanks! It's a hammer head coral.
  • 2 weeks later...
nanoreeferpdx

***UPDATE 1/4/08

I finally got too sick of all the algae on the acrylic so I went in for a GOOD cleaning and rescaping; the hammerhead's getting too big for its location and the torch's too hidden. If i ever get another pico tank i'd go for glass!!! I scraped the acrylic with a credit card (the only thing i could think of that would possibly leave the least scratches); no major damage but i can now see hairline scratches, yuck!!!!

Here are some pictures! and a video :D

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

Just noticed from looking at the picture that my watermelon zoos fell off; gotta bring in some super-glue :angry:

Archived