Coral Vue Hydros

CRAP, Zoa spiders... whos ever had them?

Helfrichs Chick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
er1c_the_reefer

i've dealt with spiders 1-2 years ago. as i recall, the eggs hatch fairly slowly, so diligence is key when fighting spiders. i found iodine had no affect, but here's what i did:

mix up a batch of saltwater using epsom salt that you find at the pharmacy or grocery store to normal SG. you can take full rocks of zoas and dip them because its cheap to mix. leave it in there for like 5-15 minutes minutes and you'll start seeing all sorts of little buggers start coming out of the colony, including worms, pods, spiders, etc. dip every 3 days until you stop seeing spiders then dip again 3-4 more times just in case.

the dip doesn't kill the spiders right away, but it makes them let go of the polyps. also, make sure you blast the colony to get in between the polyps.

The Propagator
Well they are still in OT, and NOT happy lol. I did another dip and didnt see any spiders at all. I looked with a mag light but these are palys and have sand all in the base, makes it harder to see stuff. Here are the pics

Thats where you will almost always find them 1st. On colonies matted together with sand or colonies so grown over they are clumping together and forming a colony on a colony.

Where there is one there isn't usually a crap load like there are with nudi's though.

If you can get what you see I would say you have about gotten them all.

I have had encounters with them in the past my self.

All I do is pick them off with tweezers too. They don't typically move rapidly from colony to colony like nudis do though in MHE with them. Once they find something they like they tend to stay near it, on it , or in it.

Just keep checking that particular colony and any that may be next to it.

I have never had a recurrence of them due to eggs like nudi's though. I guess I have been lucky?

The Propagator

:haha:

and Oh yeah Josh.....

BITE IT !!!

;)

PM with any nice corals you guys have in up there will ya.

AND DON'T GIVE ME ANY FALSE CRAP THIS TIME ABOUT ORDERS COMING IN THAT AREN'T PLEASE !

Thats a good drive for me and with Gas prices it pretty annoying.

Archived