Top Shelf Aquatics

Skim or not during cycle?

Vincerama

Hey, should I be running my skimmer (Prizm) while my 10g cycles? Should I let the crud build up to Help build up ammonia for the cycle?

The skimmer is taking a way a bit of crud, but is that "good crud" in terms of bioloading the tank for the cycle?

Thanks!

SeaMountain

Many don't even run a skimmer Vince. I cycled my 10g and it's been up for a few months now and doing great without a skimmer! I did pick up a picollo skimmer from Yup just so I had one in case I ever wanted to drop it in. Haven't had to as of yet. A few corals, 22lbs of LR, a clown and a ton of snails and hermits.

I would go without a skimmer while you cycled and then add it back later only if you really need it. B)

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on it, but the LFS guy was bugging me (so he could sell me a skimmer, I guess). I also thought it would make a good backup for laziness on my part.

I thought it might be good to help keep whatever is left alive in the tank from dying. However, I think it is better for that living stuff if the tank just cycles and I don't want to work at cross purposes if the skimmer is stalling the cycle!

I tossed a tiny pinch of fish flakes (for my FW tank) into the tank to decay and kick start the cycle. I don't think I added enough to taint the tank in case the flakes had supplements for the FW fish.

I haven't found a place that will sell me one raw shrimp yet though! Though I think I actually have a 5 year old box of fish sticks in my freezer .... ;)

V

Archived