Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can I use this as a Sump or just a place to throw carbon?

Louie3

DSC00317.jpg??Just wondering. I could throw in a pump on the bottom to send water backit does have a water tight seal. Could it be used like a canister filter?

Looks like it might be able to be used as a canister of some type. You just need to get a pump for it. I don't think the sump would work due to the airtight seal.

Use it as a sump? I don't get it. A sump has chambers for things like a fuge, skimmer, bubble trap, etc, etc...that's basically a canister. A cool one at that. :)

My bad guys wasnt thinking when I posted. I ment like a canister of some sort. Would I start some sort a siphon and put a return pump and push water back up?

HecticDialectics
My bad guys wasnt thinking when I posted. I ment like a canister of some sort. Would I start some sort a siphon and put a return pump and push water back up?

I think you have the plumbing a bit backwards. You would need a pump put in your tank that goes to the canister, and then have the return line from the canister going back to the tank. SInce the canister is sealed, the pump will effectively be pushing water into the canister, and then also back out.

Hectic, cannister pumps work by siphons with a pump/motor in the canister to return the water. I suppose that would work Louie as long as your canister is water tight. Get a maxi jet for the return and it should be positioned near the top of the canister. During a power outage it's possible you would lose you siphon for the filter which could cause an overflow if not done properly. Take a look at a Fluval canister filter. Only thing is you have 3 holes there, typically there would be only 2 intake and return. Where did you get this and what was it used for before?

HecticDialectics
Hectic, cannister pumps work by siphons with a pump/motor in the canister to return the water. I suppose that would work Louie as long as your canister is water tight. Get a maxi jet for the return and it should be positioned near the top of the canister. During a power outage it's possible you would lose you siphon for the filter which could cause an overflow if not done properly. Take a look at a Fluval canister filter. Only thing is you have 3 holes there, typically there would be only 2 intake and return. Where did you get this and what was it used for before?

Fair enough...

I got the container at HobbyLobby GF pulled me into it and I kinda had a brainblast moment. I just had it laying around and never got to drilling it until yesterday. Its practically brand new. Basically I should fill the container with Media and water and place an mj on the top and start a siphon correct?
I think you have the plumbing a bit backwards. You would need a pump put in your tank that goes to the canister, and then have the return line from the canister going back to the tank. SInce the canister is sealed, the pump will effectively be pushing water into the canister, and then also back out.
The way your saying it seems like it a fail proof method since the pump is internal and pushing water through the canister and back up

Why don't you use a MJ 1200 in the tank and have that push water into the canister. Mount the canister a couple inches above your water line and then its gravity fed back into the tank, that way no worrying about overflows.

Someone may have posted this same thing but i didnt read all the posts.

there shouldnt be an overflow at all, its a sealed system so i dont know what the worry over overflow would be, as long as the glass canister is below the tank there shouldnt be a problem, water seeks its own level which means that the water isnt going to flow up from the canister and into the tank

do canister filters overflow your tanks? then why would this one?

Mattyice, no, properly sealed canister filters do not flood. But an old food canister, well yes that just might, I wouldn't trust the seal! Plus, provided with the context in which the original poster asked his question, the canister does not sound too reliable.

Plus depending on the pump, to pump the water through the canister, which would probably be filled with media of some kind, and then up through more tubing, would present a lot of head. Furthermore, the canister would need to be either tightly packed with media or employ a system of baffle-like devices to direct water directly through the media. Otherwise, you've set up nothing more than an elaborate way to passively filter your water. So by elevating the position of the canister you can eliminate the potential energy term from Bernouli's conservation equation leaving gravity to deal with the head presented by the media, canister, and return tubing. Therefore, you can also down size your pump. To further combat these issues you can lengthen your return tube in order to increase the volumetric flow rate and allowing you to buy an even smaller pump. Shall I continue?

lol svvad!

Ok the pump probably broke because of the stress it was under with the drilling and fitings. I replaced the lets say O-ring it came with because it didint hold water but when I went to a shop I found the right diameter and it worked

neanderthalman
Mattyice, no, properly sealed canister filters do not flood. But an old food canister, well yes that just might, I wouldn't trust the seal! Plus, provided with the context in which the original poster asked his question, the canister does not sound too reliable.

Plus depending on the pump, to pump the water through the canister, which would probably be filled with media of some kind, and then up through more tubing, would present a lot of head. Furthermore, the canister would need to be either tightly packed with media or employ a system of baffle-like devices to direct water directly through the media. Otherwise, you've set up nothing more than an elaborate way to passively filter your water. So by elevating the position of the canister you can eliminate the potential energy term from Bernouli's conservation equation leaving gravity to deal with the head presented by the media, canister, and return tubing. Therefore, you can also down size your pump. To further combat these issues you can lengthen your return tube in order to increase the volumetric flow rate and allowing you to buy an even smaller pump. Shall I continue?

Wow, that was an impressive use of words that you obviously don't understand.

Elevating the canister has no effect on the elevation (PE) term of bernoulli's equation because the system is a closed loop. There is no net elevation head loss.

Furthermore, increasing the length of the return tube will have absolutely no effect on the volumetric flow rate, except for a marginal decrease due to larger frictional head losses. This means he'll need a larger pump to combat the added loss.

In all honesty, I and the rest of the community would prefer it if you didn't continue blathering about things you don't understand and giving incorrect advice to others. Thanks.

Archived