Coral Vue Hydros

Teresa's 10

varanus37

So there's another frag of zoas on the way for this tank. I'm getting them from Mvite and they're eagle eyes. Should be good stuff as coral from him always is. I'm really happy with the way this little zoa corner is starting to come together. This will be the last frag to go in that corner and from here on out it will be just growth. I have looked at some new mushrooms for the other corner and maybe a small ric or two. I think after I get some mushroom/ric diversity in here it will be time to sit and watch things grow for about a year. Then it should really be something to marvel at.

I bet by that time I have to move that bubble though, haha. I had to push it down in the sand a bit farther today so it didn't hit the waters surface.

Bill

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll try and get pics of the eagle eyes tomorrow, sorry for the wait everybody.

Bit of an update on this tank. I've been having algae growth on the glass at a pretty steady rate. No real algae to speak of in the tank but enough to keep the emerald happy. I put some phosphate sponge in a bag in the HOB filter just to be sure everything is up to par. I had chemi-pure for this tank as well but the jar had been opened already and it was useless, taking that back tomorrow. I also got Purigen but that went on an HOB for the 55. Wish I'd have known and I would've just bought 2 Purigen. That Chemi-pure comes in a monster bag too. Thinking about dividing it up.

Those loose stalks of xenia have taken hold and are now popping up out of the rocks where I left them. The cats eye zoas are also starting to cover really well. Baby mushrooms around every adult I have placed. And of course the bubble is expanded ridiculously. So just general growth and good health for everyone. Algae on the glass is my main problem.

I do have a question for those following along. The frogspawn that I put in this tank looks happier than it was in the 55 but isn't fully out like I think it should be. It's still healthy just not overly happy I guess is how I would put it. Extension to a point but I can obviously see that it could extend farther. It's not hitting anything now and wouldn't if it extended. A small ric is above and to the side of it on a rock (the 'spawn is in the sand). What I was wondering is would there be some chemical warfare going on with the Bubble? It is enormous in that tank and I would think if it didn't like the 'spawn that it could make it known fairly easily. It can't touch it because of the rock wall but could there be some other way it's harming it?

On a side note I may set up a 2.5 with black sand just for this 'spawn. ;)

Kind of excited about doing that. I just want to see the tank filled with frogspawn and some snails crawling on the sand like they're under a tree.

What do you all think?

Bill

Thank you for the nice comments. So the GBPs are ridiculous bright green. Looks great. My brother-in-law is a huge, huge Packers fan. I'm hoping to grow these out into a nice clump, then I can frag some and start him a pico for them. His wife is into pets so I think I could convince her.

Anyway, here are some top down shots of that frag under the new lights.

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

And here's a picture of the tank with the lights hung above it. I didn't use the flash so you really can't see how they're hung. Tomorrow I'll post some more detailed shots to show just what we did. Until then I can just spell it out for ya. I drilled 2 holes in each side and threaded some eyelets in there. I then drilled 2 eyelets into each side of the divider wall of the bar. Each eyelet is attached to its corresponding wall eyelet by 35 lb. test clear wire. Teresa helped hold and I tied things off. It's still fairly ghetto looking but it really lights the tank well and that's all I care about. The lights are off the surface a bit since it is 96 watts and that's quite a change from what I had previously. I found a package of legs that fit this model at my LFS so if I want to move the lights down to provide some more intensity I can.

DSC_0701.jpg

The major difference that I notice is that the corners of the tank are no longer dimmer than the rest of the tank. That was a problem I had before. It's also partly the reason the GSPs were in the corners so they didn't get wild in their growth. I've also noticed that the mushrooms are super expanded now to soak up all that extra light. It seems that everyone is happy with the new setup. I'm especially fond of the newfound ease of top down photography.

It should be noted that the 2 large rocks on the right-hand side will go back to the 55 soon so that I can go back to that stark look I had before. I may break up one of the rocks because the hi-fin is living there. He can keep his home, I can have a cover for the U-tube in there and I can get rid of the larger rockwork.

Bill

that is an effing sweet tank.

where did you get it?

jonathanS - I got it at a reptile show probably 5 years ago. It was in St. Louis but the vendor was glasscages.com. Some people have had horrible dealings with them recently and that's the only thing I ever bought from them so I don't know how they are now. The guy was awesome when I met him and really helpful.

dtfleming - I thought so. This tank was set up mostly to hold the bubble and just expanded from there. I like how it turned out with the exception of the irritated 'spawn. Should literally look like a tree over dirt with the 'spawn being dark green like it is.

Bill

Oh, and a frag of NG's and 2 frags of Sun Coral are in the works! I think one of the Sun Coral frags is going in here but not sure where yet. All 3 may have to wait in here while I get some things sorted out in the 55. Bit off on my params at the moment. Nothing crazy but it still needs fixed before I can acclimate something new to the system. Have to see how big that frag is too. Looked awfully big in the pics BibleSue sent so not sure it will even fit in this tank with the room I have right now. I'm always finding spots to put things in the 55 so no worries there, haha.

Bill

On a side note I may set up a 2.5 with black sand just for this 'spawn. ;)

Kind of excited about doing that. I just want to see the tank filled with frogspawn and some snails crawling on the sand like they're under a tree.

What do you all think?

Bill

I'll add to the consensus so far--that would sound very cool!

As to the bubble/spawn interaction...I'm not very knowlegeable about corals but I think of chemical warfare as more associated with softies...

This article implies that bubbles may have sweeper tents:

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/d...790&search=

FWIW,

--Diane

I'm very aware of the sweeper tents on the bubble and have set the LR up in such a way that neither coral could touch the other. Is it possible that ric above it is doing some harm? I'm pretty much set on the 2.5g now so I'm not that worried about it. :happy:

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Got a new type of GSP from BibleSue when I ordered some frags from her. It's a darker green with a white spot at the center. Nothing like the other 2 types I have so I'm happy about it. I'm excited to watch things fill in and cover some space.

Both of the sun coral frags had to go in the 55. I really like the way my rocks are set up right now and what problems I do have with them are nullified by the fact that my goby lives in them. He/she likes it and that's the point of it all really. The frags wouldn't fit in the tank without touching the bubble unless I changed the 'scape or flat out removed some of the rock. Decided against it and I'm happy with it now that I look at it.

Pics should be up tomorrow afternoon of the new additions and some new growth and baby polyps I've seen recently.

Bill

I'm very aware of the sweeper tents on the bubble and have set the LR up in such a way that neither coral could touch the other. Is it possible that ric above it is doing some harm? I'm pretty much set on the 2.5g now so I'm not that worried about it. :happy:

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence! :D

--Diane

Oh no, that's not what I meant when I wrote that. Haha. I just meant that I'm aware of their reaching capability and that's why my rockscape is set up in the way it is.

Bill

New news! The vine snake from Caesar777 is here! I've posted a thread in the vendor/trader feedback forum if anyone wants to look. His new viv is in the works but I'd like to think I did a good job on this one as a temp home. Tell me what ya think.

Bill

So no new tank shots. Working on something to get better surface agitation. It's just so hard in a tank like this with the short height requirements.

Bill

So here's a real update for this tank. Been awhile, haha. I've got more pics on the cam but the battery died so they'll have to wait.

BRIGHT GSP clump. This one shows the placement of it, between Harrys rock and the glass.

DSC_0929.jpg

Head-on shot from the kitchen side of the tank.

CSC_0949.jpg

The original GSP rock transplanted from the 55.

CSC_0948.jpg

New GSP frag from BibleSue.

DSC_0930.jpg

The bubble of course.

DSC_0937.jpg

Nice clump of my hourglass polyps. The light shade in the center of the disc looks like an hourglass on most of them.

DSC_0938.jpg

Plain ol' polyps. Still going strong.

DSC_0939.jpg

The mushroom I placed on the skeleton way back when has now moved and left babies all over the place.

DSC_0940.jpg

Bit closer.

CSC_0954.jpg

One of the mushies up front.

DSC_0931.jpg

Mushies on top of Harrys house. Also sprouted a baby there.

CSC_0953.jpg

Emerald.

CSC_0935.jpg

Ric.

CSC_0933.jpg

The zoa corner.

DSC_0936.jpg

Lone polyp I placed up on the skeleton.

CSC_0956.jpg

Fire&Ice I think.

CSC_0952.jpg

Green Bay Packers.

CSC_0951.jpg

Small light blue guys.

CSC_0950.jpg

So there ya go. Thinking about getting another ric or 2. Not sure. The only zoa type I'm really wanting right now are Purple Deaths. Other than that I'm happy with what's here and just want to watch it grow. If I did get PDs though they might have to go in the 55 near the NG frag.

Bill

Looks nice Bill, I think the zoa corner is my favorite.

If I had any PD I'd help you out, but they're on my "to get" list too.

I think they're on alot of peoples list. That's why they cost so much! :angry: . Other than those my list is basically just different kinds of montis for the 55. I rearranged the 'scape in their a bit to help out the clam and the mystery coral. Now I've got some more nice open spots. This little tank is actually doing really well. Short on space but that's the point. Have to be picky about what I buy. Fortunately for me, I like GSP of any type. Don't mind if it grows rampant. The bubble will hold its ground and I'll help the rest out. I have been looking at the rics on Zoanuts though. Thinking about adding one or two of those. I really like the one I have and they've got some insane colors on their site. Have to wait and see.

Bill

Another few pics for this tank. I missed the eagle eyes last time so here they are.

CSC_0973.jpg

Some shots of the conch. Check out the coralline on his shell.

DSC_0974.jpg

A proboscis shot.

CSC_0976.jpg

Notice the hook on the foot there.

CSC_0978.jpg

Just wanted to add those. Hope you all like 'em.

Bill

Small update to this tank. No pics really. I added another HOB filter to the side. I was having a problem keeping surface agitation and wanted to increase the flow but not smack around all the softies in the tank. These small HOBs work perfectly for my situation. This particular one sits higher up from the surface of the water so it provides the agitation for the surface and then the flow from this HOB circles around the tank and hits the flow from the other HOB. Makes for nice water movement and the LR in there breaks things up enough to get some randomness in the flow.

So that's the news. Zoas are spreading pretty rapidly as are the GSP clumps. Xenia are poking out of the rock much further and looking thicker. Shrooms are still splitting although only the original shroom has more than one baby. Everyone else is just kinda maintaining or reproducing slowly. Looking good all in all.

Bill

Thank you! The mom is a peki-poo and the dad is supposed to be a jack russell. Not so sure on the dad side but I know for sure that the mom was a peki-poo. That and they were free. Which is always a plus. They're learned to come when called now and of course listen to my wife over me. Trained to puppy pads and are learning to scratch the door or bark by it when they need to go out. I was really surprised at how fast they picked up the potty training but they pretty much follow Polars lead and it works out. They DO NOT share his food though. Jeez, for being a sissy Great Pyrenees he doesn't do the food bowl sharing with the pups at all. They'll learn soon enough though. Other than not sharing they're great pups.

Oh, not sure if I posted this before but Teresa decided and their names are Zeus and Apollo. Anyone remember the Dobermans from Magnum PI? Well, she wanted something from mythology and I think that show was awesome in the day so there ya go. Zeus is the fat one with more white on his feet. The other option was socks and sandals which I think is very funny. Get it, white feet and brown feet with white toes?

Bill

Archived