Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teresa's 10

varanus37

The JARC Frag Swap and BBQ was today and it was an awesome event. I won several raffles and picked up a few corals. This tank received a nice Yuma from the people at Uberfrags.net and is holding some small acro pieces that I got as freebies to start out my LED pico. Had a great time and won some other kewl raffles in the process. One of them was pretty major but you'll have to check the 75 thread to see that. I also won a refractometer so I was pretty happy with my raffle winnings. Pics will be up when I get the chance.

Bill

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pics of Teresa's 10.

DSC_0139.jpg

The acros that are just biding time until the LED pico is ready.

CSC_0165.jpg

CSC_0167.jpg

The little clam experiment. He was a freebie from MrCoral.

DSC_0129.jpg

New Yuma!

DSC_0132.jpg

CSC_0133.jpg

Randall's.

CSC_0156.jpg

CSC_0157.jpg

Yellow ric.

CSC_0159.jpg

Blue ric.

CSC_0163.jpg

One of the orange and blacks.

CSC_0161.jpg

Up close and personal with a cuke.

CSC_0138.jpg

Interesting red macro.

CSC_0147.jpg

Red rimmed zoas.

CSC_0142.jpg

The usual big red mushroom.

CSC_0169.jpg

YCG checking things out.

DSC_0146.jpg

Bundle of blue mushrooms. Some of the babies are more purple.

DSC_0140.jpg

Sandbed scatter.

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

The new oddball mushrooms. These are really neat.

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

CSC_0136.jpg

CSC_0149.jpg

CSC_0150.jpg

And a Super Mario mushroom from MrCoral. The red tones look more brown in my pics but they're a nice red on blue flesh in person.

CSC_0131.jpg

So that's the updates for now. The clam is a long shot but we feed Phyto pretty heavily in both tanks so we're going to go for it. The acros are just renting space until the pico is ready but there's plenty of light in here for them and they seem to be adjusting nicely. No new fish to speak of. I think we'll hold off on fish until we know what's going on with the new house and moving situation. I'm much more likely to lose a fish in a transition than a coral and to me losing a fish is worse.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Had the ultrasound today and we're having a boy! The tech put the due date as Dec. 24th so that should be fun.

Bill

Had the ultrasound today and we're having a boy! The tech put the due date as Dec. 24th so that should be fun.

Bill

YAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Bill

Congrats, that's great to hear!!! My wife and i are expecting a boy too on Dec 13!!!! Must be something in the water because my best friend is having a boy and their date is Dec 23!

Bryan

The acros are now in the 75 but the little clam has stayed here. It seems to be doing well. Fully extended and no loss of color or any other signs of stress. I restocked on Phyto today at the LFS and moved the clove polyps out of the 75 and into this tank. I've put them toward the front near the clam in the hopes that they won't be overtaken by shrooms.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

The clam continues to grow and do well as does everything in this tank. I'm a really big fan of the simple way we set this tank up. The newest Yuma continues to grow and was actually annoying some mushrooms so a bit of movement was in order. Teresa did find something interesting today while she was cleaning out the nuisance macro. When she lifted the orange mushroom rock there were half a dozen stomatellas beneath it. We definitely only started with 2 that I know of from my tank and now have a nice group. Neat little population jump.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new to report other than the tank is now in the new house. It's actually sitting right next to me in the office/computer room. That red macro has grown nicely and I'm thinking of placing it in a corner as a backdrop. The usual growth and minimal issues with this tank. I love my 75 but I'm really pretty fond of how simple things are in Teresa's tank.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

So Teresa cleaned out most of the macro from her tank today and I took some shots.

DSC_0285.jpg

Zoom on the cuke. I'm still a huge fan of these guys.

CSC_0301.jpg

Neat Yuma.

DSC_0297.jpg

CSC_0298.jpg

Swirl'o'anthelia.

DSC_0291.jpg

Shrooms abound.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

CSC_0303.jpg

Nice red zoas.

DSC_0288.jpg

YCG chillin' out.

DSC_0289.jpg

Rics, of course.

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

CSC_0302.jpg

So that's the update on Teresa's tank. The Randall's goby and pistol shrimp went into hiding the second I approached with the camera of course. The cloves were sucked in for some reason so no pics of them but they're doing well. I'd like to get some GSP on the walls and maybe start a clump of xenia. Since it's Teresa's tank I'm sure we'll add more rics as well.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a local LFS today to pick up some snail shells from a friend for the pico and came home with a Nepthea (sp?) frag for Teresa's tank. She was a big fan of that monster colt coral we had back in GA so I decided to start out small with this piece in her tank. Teresa has been talking about rescaping and moving some of the rics around so be on the lookout for pics of that in the near future.

Bill

Random pics of the cuke.

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

CSC_0336.jpg

CSC_0337.jpg

CSC_0338.jpg

And here are some pics Teresa snapped trying to get a shot of her pistol.

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

Just what was on the cam at the moment.

Bill

Indi was checking out the tank and Teresa got some pics. Here ya go.

DSC_0299-1.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

She has a thing with talking to/yelling at pets. Not sure what the deal is. I wonder if she thinks because they don't respond they can't hear her, LoL. She gets progressively louder.

Bill

Moved some of the rics like Teresa wanted and will likely add the extra rock tomorrow. No pics tonight as things are pretty well annoyed that they got moved. Did discover a new goby hole that was hidden by a ric and I don't think they appreciated the uncovering, LoL.

Bill

So it looks like the rics are really liking the mat/bunch grouping that they're now in. All are puffed out and looking good. We moved the little guy that was hiding in the back and put him inside the clam shell. The worry there was that he would either be covered in sand by the pistol or simply dragged away as decoration. The Randall's and pistol have been really active lately with digging and arranging LR to suit their needs.

The FTS does look a bit sparse though. Not much in the way of height for this tank. Plenty of room for our few softies to spread though so that's fine.

DSC_0395.jpg

Anthelia.

DSC_0394.jpg

Softie in the opposite corner providing height.

DSC_0384.jpg

CSC_0385.jpg

Nestled in.

DSC_0393.jpg

Spread out nicely. It's neat to be able to see the underside of the yuma when it flops on the glass like this.

DSC_0379.jpg

Hoping this one will drop some babies but no luck yet.

CSC_0392.jpg

And rics.

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

CSC_0387.jpg

CSC_0388.jpg

CSC_0389.jpg

CSC_0390.jpg

CSC_0386.jpg

So that's it for now. I didn't see the YCG today and that worries me a bit but nothing certain yet. Other than continuing Teresa's ric carpet there in the corner I'm not sure what the next additions will be. Still deciding how she wants to add that rock on the right side. We may not need to now that the rics have all been consolidated on the left. There's a red shroom over below the anthelia now so we may let them cover and compete. Would be a nice contrast with the tall anthelia waving above a red carpet of shrooms.

Bill

So I changed the carbon out today on Teresa's tank and decided to get some top-down shots while the water was still. On a side note she's got some awesome sponge growth in her HOB filters. Very kewl looking and I'm trying to get pics but the inside of a small HOB filter is not conducive to my photog skills. Took some regular shots as well so those are first.

FTS. The coralline growth on the back glass of the tank has really taken off. I think it looks neat and I'd like to try some GSP on the back wall in the future.

DSC_0376.jpg

Here's the little tube worm that started this whole pic-taking event. Neat looking isn't it?

CSC_0381.jpg

Corner bush.

DSC_0379-1.jpg

The Yuma lounging about.

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0382-1.jpg

CSC_0383.jpg

Neat little shroom.

CSC_0385-1.jpg

Same shroom from above.

DSC_0392.jpg

CSC_0397.jpg

This guy was floating around and apparently thought it was a good plan to anchor on the cuke.

CSC_0395.jpg

Oddball shot on the edge of the tank.

DSC_0389.jpg

And the rics.

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

CSC_0399.jpg

CSC_0398.jpg

CSC_0403.jpg

CSC_0402.jpg

CSC_0401.jpg

CSC_0400.jpg

So that's my random pic taking for today. I took the leather coral and attached LR piece out of the 75 and Teresa put it in here. It's now making a bit of a bridge between the anthelia rock and the main LR in the center of the tank. We also added a small brain-type coral that became detached from it's skeleton in the hopes that it would take in here. I know that's not the norm but it happened to two of the heads and they've survived and actually been eating in my 75 for several weeks. Not sure what caused them to leave their bases but it doesn't seem to have hurt them all that much. I ordered some CUC critters for the 75 and added an emerald crab for this tank. They're known bubble algae eaters so I thought it might help and Teresa and I tend to like all things invert so the more the merrier.

Bill

Thank you. The 10 is in the computer room so we spend a good chunk of time in here checking things out. This tank is fairly well left alone maintenance-wise though. WC's, keeping the filters clean and scraping the glass is about it. Pretty happy with how things are coming along for such a chill care regimen. I tinker with the 75 way more often and it's fighting a major algae battle. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, LoL.

Bill

Added a small emerald crab to the mix so we'll see how he does. Snipping away at the macro right now and chewing it up pretty well so things look positive.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

If you're anywhere near the south side of Chicago you are invited to the-store-formerly-known-as Go Fish in Orland Park. The Joliet Area Reef Club is having a membership drive! We'd love to see you all out there. I'll be there around 6 PM tonight along with a good chunk of the rest of the club. If you want to come out earlier in the day and check out the store feel free. It's a great place...birds, reptiles and reef all in one shot. Hope you can all come!

Bill

Teresa picked out a ric at the sale tonight. It's a light green little guy with 3 mouths. Should be interesting to see it grow and whether or not it splits in the future. Pics up probably tomorrow.

Bill

Snapped some pics this afternoon so thought I'd post and I have a question for those of you with ric gardens out there. Do your rics "like" to pile on each other? Our rics have slowly moved so that they overlap each other and are clustered very close together. They seem to puff out really well and show really nice colors when they're clustered together like this. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. We let the pistol shrimp move Teresa's pink ric over to his doorway and it seemed to deflate a bit. Not bad just not as good as when it was piled in the garden. I put her new little ric frag over next to the pink and now they're both puffed out and looking good. The pistol likes the extra door blockage as well. Just an observation.

CSC_0385-2.jpg

CSC_0381-1.jpg

CSC_0380.jpg

CSC_0383-1.jpg

DSC_0377-1.jpg

CSC_0387-1.jpg

I can never get clean shots of these zoas but I think they're really nice. The red is extremely bright in the tank and I don't think the pictures bring it out enough. If you look at the actual pics full-size in photobucket it's better. The zoom shots do lose focus though.

DSC_0388-1.jpg

DSC_0388-1.jpg

CSC_0389-1.jpg

CSC_0391.jpg

Those three on the right seem to have a darker center, leaning toward blue. It would be really neat if a few of these ended up being red skirt with blue patterned centers. We'll have to wait and see. The group is actually spreading the opposite direction and working down the rock right now. The new heads spreading that way are maintaining the light pink patterned centers.

Bill

So Teresa needs some options for fish choices. She really digs the pistol/goby combo that she currently has but we're looking for other critters. No clowns as I have a pair in the 75 and everyone has clowns. I'm a goby fan but she's undecided as to the specifics. We're also obviously limited as this is only a 10g tank.

So what do you all think?

Bill

Archived