Innovative Marine Aquariums

Porcellain Crab

Panic

I was at the LFS yesterday and picked up a Porcellain Crab which has been hosted for several weeks in a tank with other Porcellain Crabs and as a result, has lost a few legs and his left claw (I'm naming him Legless).

Unfortunately he's the best looking of the lot, so I'm assuming he's a FIGHTER and can hold his own against the hermits heh heh

In the peace and quiet of my 5G, will his legs grow back? I don't mind him being lopsided, but I think he'd look awesome once whole.

Just a note: The LFS owner was quite miserable about these crabs... they came shipped in by accident and he didn't have place to put em, so he was quite sad about the state of the crabs.

(yeah, I got 'im for almost nothing!)

Yeah, he should regrow the missing limbs in the next molt or two. I had one of the nice white/pink anemone crabs for a long time in my 29, but two little gray versions from the caribbean hitchhiked on the LR and ended up lopping off the legs and a claw from the crab I bought several times! It ####ed me off royally and landed the hitchhiker crabs a one way ticket to my snowflake morey's tank. : But, the little guy survived, even though it took a couple molts before he completely regrew his legs and claw. I think the crab you bought will be fine if he's not harassed and given time in your tank. Enjoy him, they're awesome crabs. :) I'm planning on getting another for my 5.5 soon.

-Dan

Oh, by the way, if you want to look information up about him online, his latin name is most likely either Neopetrolisthes maculatus or Neopetrolisthes oshimai, depending on the species. I'd take a trip over to www.wetwebmedia.com and find out what Bob Fenner has to say about him over on his website..... awesome site. :)

Archived