Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blue Spotted VS. Pearly Jawfish

sdunkin

They are adept hiders when they are really wigged out.

Was there anywhere he could get out? Is there a sump, filter, or false back? Could he be in the fuge, sump or filter? Is it possible that he dug under a rock and there was a cave in?

Does anything look like it is out of place as if it has fallen? Can you see the back of the tank?

When I have observed other Jaws in the shoppe where there was insufficent burrowing substrate, they often hide in corners of the tank, or dark areas, or under things. That would be where I'd look.

Have you tried feeding? Mine never misses a feeding. Mine never hid though once I put him in the tank. I've had 3, and all 3 dug burrows immediately, and ate within 24 hours.

I hope you find him. I'd be sad if he is gone. I'd also check intakes if you have any. Like i said, if he can fit, he will. I go by if my pinkie can get in there, my jawfish can.

The tank is fully covered, there aren't any spots at all where he could of jumped (no false wall, sump, fuge, etc.). None of the rocks have fallen, but I did have to remove a couple of them today to do a FW dip on my zoas (stupid nudis). I was really careful to not move the base rocks or put any pressure on the substrate. I tried feeding mysis with no luck, and I know he was eating when I got him because I saw him eat almost a full cube of mysis at the store.

I really hope that I am just being neurotic. I am already upset because I can't find him, and I hope he shows up soon.

Still no jawfish, and I am starting to wonder if he died :tears:

I don't want to disturb him if he is okay, but I am really worried that if he is dead that it will cause my tank to crash. I have yet to see him, or any signs of him burrowing at all, since the night that I put him in. There is absolutely no way that he could of jumped out, so he has to still be in the tank. I am a little extra worried because I didn't see any of my nass snails come out when I fed the tank earlier, and I am really hoping that it wasn't because they found a jawfish snack.

do you have a false wall? he could be in the back... seriously... these guys are great escape artists... when I had my first one, I made a cover using birdnetting and screen framing...I put down 3 layers or 1" birdnetting in a zig zag pattern. The first one still got through the holes... when I had my 3rd BSJ i made sure I had at least 5 layers of bird netting. Guess what... still jumped out. Check the back of your tank if you have rear chambers.

Sorry to hear he's MIA. :tears: Ours darted into a spot right at the front of the tank when we put him in - it was like he always needed to be able to see what was going on outside the tank. I really hope he turns up for you, alive and well.

Here is a picture of ours begging for food (this was about 3 weeks before we lost him I believe).

06142007067.jpg

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Anna

It has been 2 days, and I have already started looking. I have looked all around the tank just in case it would of jumped, but I haven't found a body yet. I am thinking about taking out a few of the rocks to try to find him, because I am really worried that if he is dead it will cause my tank to crash.

How big was he? You might want to just do a good sized water change instead of tearing apart the tank in case he's just in hiding. I sure hope he's just hiding.

He was at least 3 inches long, so it probably would cause big problems if he is dead in there. I decided to go ahead and do a big water change (5 gallons) and move around some of the rocks and try to find him. No fishy or any signs of him at all. I am almost positive that he is dead :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

I took all of the rock out of the tank and I still cannot find him. The part that really bothers me is that I can't find a body either (not that I want to find one, but I would like to know for sure if he is dead or alive). I don't have a really big CUC (3 nass snails, one hermit, and a few cerith snails), so I really don't think that they could of ate him all.

I found him dead under one of the rocks :tears:

I just cannot figure out what did him in. Maybe the stress of moving tanks? He was established for almost 3 weeks in their tanks, but couldn't even make it 48 hours in mine. I am really hoping that I can get some sort of store credit back from where I got him, because otherwise my tank is going to have to sit fishless for at least another couple of months until I can afford more.

Hey man, I am really sorry about your buddy. Seriously.

But I really want to encourage you not to give up on Jawfishes. They are amazing.

=*( for your lost buddy.

Hey man, I am really sorry about your buddy. Seriously.

But I really want to encourage you not to give up on Jawfishes. They are amazing.

=*( for your lost buddy.

Thanks

I am still really upset that he is gone, and that I never really got to enjoy him. I really think that he died the first night that I got him, but I don't know. Now I am just hoping that the store owner will give me at least a little bit of store credit back. I know it sounds like I am just in it for the money, but I really cannot afford to get anymore fish right now and it kills me to see my tank fishless (the fishies were the reason I set up a tank).

Archived