Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA 120p from planted to reef progression

ianiwane

A few months ago I decided to turn my planted tank into a reef tank.

Here is what it once was.

dsc_4679_small_607.jpg

I decided to go with a gyre style setup w/ laminar flow. For this reason I needed to get rocks that were flat on one side.

Here are a few specs of my tank

ADA 120p tank 48"x18"x18" tank

6x54w T5HO TEK light

29 gallon sump

Octopus 200 Skimmer

Korallin CA reactor

1/4 HP pacific coast chiller

3 hydor koralia 4

ATO from autotopoff.com

Connected to a 24"x24"x16" frag tank

250w DE aquamedic fixture

2 hydor koralia 2

On reverse light cycle

Rocks ordered from Marco rocks (forgive the mess)

marcorocksorder.jpg

Rock work out side of tank

rocksetup2.jpg

Rock work in tank (koralias were moved to the left side of the tank later)

120psaltwater.jpg

Side view

120pback.jpg

Several months later (the algae is finally gone)

FTSoct22small.jpg

A view from my couch

FTScouchoct22small.jpg

Here are some macros

Tyree true undata

tyreetrueundatasmall.jpg

Blasto

Redandgreenblastosmall.jpg

Maxima

maximasmall.jpg

Acropora sp.

charlesacrosmall.jpg

A. vermiculata

Avermiculatasmall.jpg

Smuckers Micromussa

Purpleandgreencentermicrosmall.jpg

A. efflo

efflosmall.jpg

Micromussa

greenandpurplemicromussasmall.jpg

A. horrida

OTunknownacrosmall.jpg

Rainbow Aussie Acan

rainbowaussieacansmall.jpg

Acropora sp. (possibly a soli)

greenandpurpletablesmall.jpg

Blue Paly

Bluepalyssmall.jpg

My named paly Rainbow Sherbert

cottoncandypaly4small.jpg

Pink Paly

Pinkzoa2small.jpg

INTERESTING.
Just interesting? haha
nice pics, nice tank.
Thanks
nice pics, nice tank.
Its the camera. I have a Nikon D70 and a 90mm tamron macro lens. Using a tripod and a remote.
Sweet tank! As an "Amano'ist", why go barebottom though?DJ
I know he is all about the nature aquarium. But he is also about keeping things clean and simple. Plus I like the way it looks bare bottom.

What's the bulb configuration?

Is that pink bulb the 3000K from GE??

I prefer the planted tank over the reef... but that's just me.

Simply wow. I love the gaps in the rock. Much more appealing to the eye than the usual flat wall style of rock stacking.

--bubbles

What's the bulb configuration?Is that pink bulb the 3000K from GE?? I prefer the planted tank over the reef... but that's just me.
I have 3 blue+, 1 actinic+, one GE 6500k, one GE 3000k.That weird color bulb is the 3000k, I like the planted tank too. But planted tanks are very hard to keep nice like that for long. So much trimming and pruning involved. Also I just got tired of it, nothing new in it to try.
Simply wow. I love the gaps in the rock. Much more appealing to the eye than the usual flat wall style of rock stacking. --bubbles
Thanks, wanted to try something a bit different. Plus I got rocks that were perfect for what I wanted to acomplish from marco rocks. All I had to do was list in the comments what I needed.
Left Coast DJ
But planted tanks are very hard to keep nice like that for long. So much trimming and pruning involved. Also I just got tired of it, nothing new in it to try.

I totally hear ya. That's why my interest has shifted to reef. Though now I think in a few years I'll just end up with a goldfish bowl on my desk. And then the circle will be complete.

Which number Koralias are those?

DJ

Left Coast DJ
I am selling some of my planted tanks as well to fund the ADA 120p overflow tank.

I have a regular 120P that I might set-up as a reef. After looking at multiple options, I think I'm going to stick a Tunze Reefpack 500 in it rather than going with a sump.

DJ

I totally hear ya. That's why my interest has shifted to reef. Though now I think in a few years I'll just end up with a goldfish bowl on my desk. And then the circle will be complete.Which number Koralias are those?DJ
Those are all koralia 4s.
Awesome Aquascape. Great tank.
Thanks, one thing I am debating on is the placement of the huge smuckers micro colony.
Loving the tank!I am selling some of my planted tanks as well to fund the ADA 120p overflow tank.
Nice when is it gonna happen? The only thing I did not like about that tank is that the glass overflow is so obstructive. I really wanted to try and drill my tank, but I wasn't man enough haha. Just couldn't take the risk.
I have a regular 120P that I might set-up as a reef. After looking at multiple options, I think I'm going to stick a Tunze Reefpack 500 in it rather than going with a sump.DJ
What is your reasoning for it? Oh yeah to everyone here I run my return pump on a top off system from autotopoff.com. The float valves are in both tanks connected to the return pump. If the syphon breaks in the overflows and the water level in either tank raises the return pump automatically shuts off. There is no risk of overflowing my tanks.

Also I just ordered a schuran jetstream-1, so I will be changing out my calcium reactor shortly.

I got lots of people coming this weekend to pick up stuff.

ADG is but 15mins away from me and they have one of the overflow cube gardens set up with some really nice SPS and such. The overflows are not that bad compared to some others I have seen since it takes up minimal space and seeing the water fall over the surface grates is really cool!

Left Coast DJ
What is your reasoning for it?

It's the same reason you and I have discussed before. I know you have multiple failsafe systems with those float-switches. However, I'm still paranoid about flooding the house. The Reefpack 500 apparently isn't that much larger than an overflow box,

DJ

It's the same reason you and I have discussed before. I know you have multiple failsafe systems with those float-switches. However, I'm still paranoid about flooding the house. The Reefpack 500 apparently isn't that much larger than an overflow box,

DJ

Thats right I remember now. haha. I forget things too easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived