Top Shelf Aquatics

paint or mirror

wingsfan

i have a 20 gallon i am getting ready to set up , i was debating on weather to paint the back side of it or put a piece of mirror behind it, would like to hear some feedback on the pros and cons of int or mirror.

Mirror will freak your fish out. Ever kept a betta? When I say that, I'm really only half joking, as I'd be very worried that when a fish saw a reflection of himself, he'd think that there was a piece of competition that he needed to dispose of, and would kill himself trying to do so.

freakaccident

Reminds me of Walmart with a shelf full of those little betta cups. All of the bettas are stressed half to death from trying to get into the next cup to kill their neighbor. I can't remember ever seeing a LFS that had bettas seperated like they should be.

I have a mirror behind my 55. I couldnt move the mirror because its glued to the wall and when I was setting up my rock it helped. Anyway the fish never even notice its there. Otherwise the wrasse would be flashing constantly. I planned to cover the back but its been a big help being able to see behind the rock for lost frags or snails that were flipped over.

someone on another site even mentioned mirrored window tint, that would probably be easy to keep water out from in between the glass and the window tint.

i wouldnt wanna be able to see my refelction in teh tank, itd be too distracting....but it would be cool to see the "Other" side of teh tracks (rocks)

I vote for paint.

Hi,

I'm new here but this is a question I can actually answer. I've had a mirror on one of my tanks for about 4 years now.

We just moved and as I was pulling everything out of the tank for the move, I discovered the salt had actually eaten through part of the mirror somehow. There was this big 'hole' in the mirror that basically turned part of the mirror into just glass. You could see right through to the other side, no more mirror. Nice. :blush:

I've done a little rigging for now until I decide what I want to put on the back of the tank but the mirror is a nice touch. Looks real good if your fish can deal with it.

Archived