Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sun Coral

TUDIZZLE

I got a new orange and black sun coral

suncorals004.jpg

I have been spot feeding it baby brine, roto-feast and mysis.

It seems to be reacting well and eating but my question is do you have to feed each individual head?

Or is it a colony that shares its resources? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

suncorals002.jpg

PeachesInMich

Yes I'm pretty sure that's what they meant. You can feed each polyp individually or just cut the top off of a plastic bottle and use that. It's time consuming to feed each polyp but I think you get better results. Either way will work though.

Thanks for the 411

I guess I will be spot feeding here at first and see how the coral does. If it does not get enough to eat I will move over to the "lander" method.

Thanks again

i just got a sun coral last night and so far i love it. it really brightens up the tank and its really fun to feed. i also have a question about the feeding, and im sory to jump in on this as well but theres no sense making a new post when theres one goin here. anyway i was told that you should feed 4 times a week. and that the coral only opens when its hungry.

so does that mean everytime there opened you have to feed them?

she also said that most of the time they all wont open unless there all hungry. im confused now on whent to feed. when they open or just once a day 4 times a week?

i just got a sun coral last night and so far i love it. it really brightens up the tank and its really fun to feed. i also have a question about the feeding, and im sory to jump in on this as well but theres no sense making a new post when theres one goin here. anyway i was told that you should feed 4 times a week. and that the coral only opens when its hungry.

so does that mean everytime there opened you have to feed them?

she also said that most of the time they all wont open unless there all hungry. im confused now on whent to feed. when they open or just once a day 4 times a week?

Mine open every night just before lights out during my sunset phase. The first few days I thought I had to entice them to open by giving them a little teaser of food. But even on the days I don't feed they open like clock work. I have been trying to feed everyother day but I am thinking they could go a couple days w/o feeding.

I guess I didn't know the bi-colors were so rare...lucky me! It seems to be thriving in my tank. I do give it lots of love and the extension is crazy. It must get as large as a softball at night.

suncorals002-1.jpg

Mine are often opened in the daytime. If I fed them every time they opened, I'd be feeding them all the time. :lol: I was told to feed mine every night because they are not photo-synthetic. I hand feed them mysis at night & they are doing well.

Being completely non-photosynthetic Tubastrea does need to be fed often but can go for days without feeding and be just fine. Just remember the more you feed it the faster it will grow...

Just a side note. I was opening boxes at the store I work at and slipped and got my finger instead. I figured I'd try it out in the little 2.5 gal on the counter and see what happens. What happened was the sun corals went crazy and seemed to love the stuff... Little Shop of Horrors style. I mean, they would always open for the cyclops, but they really put some effort into opening that time. So, if you happen to cut yourself on accident, or purpose for all you Emo kids... I say give it a shot. The other corals in the tank have always done well, but I had never seen those sun corals open so fast and fully. Dosage was 1 drop per gallon, your results may vary. ;p

The black and orange are two separate species. I think they just happened to grow together. You got lucky.

Nope same species, different color.

You can train them to open when every you like. Just feed them everyday at the same time and you'll notice after a week they will be waiting for you :happy:

RED

Nope same species, different color.

You can train them to open when every you like. Just feed them everyday at the same time and you'll notice after a week they will be waiting for you :happy:

RED

Uh No.

Same genus different species.

Orange and yellow are Tubastrea coccinea, aurea, and faulkneri.

Black is Tubastrea micrantha.

FYI....although we are all refering to the dark sun coral as black, its more of a deep dark brown.

Still sweet though!

Thanks for the 411 Chebon

It seems to be reacting well and eating but my question is do you have to feed each individual head?

Or is it a colony that shares its resources? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This question wasn't answered with facts, I am also interested in this because I plan on getting a sun coral very soon. From what I have seen at the LFS all polyps are connected by tissue so one would assume that as long as some heads are getting fed it is providing for the entire colony.

Does anyone have any details/proof on this?

Uh No.

Same genus different species.

Orange and yellow are Tubastrea coccinea, aurea, and faulkneri.

Black is Tubastrea micrantha.

Splitting hairs :P

Learn something new everyday.

sorry for wrong information :blush:

This question wasn't answered with facts, I am also interested in this because I plan on getting a sun coral very soon. From what I have seen at the LFS all polyps are connected by tissue so one would assume that as long as some heads are getting fed it is providing for the entire colony.

Does anyone have any details/proof on this?

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I have serched around and have yet to find any emperical evidence one way or the other. Althought I did find a pic of a failing colony and only then did the flesh receed between polyps so you could see the skeletal structure making me think it does share resources.

Guess I'll have to pull out a few books and see if I can find any evidence to support one theory or the other.

Archived