Cultivated Reef

ratio of IO salt to 5 gallon of water?

blk_g20

I do not know about the ratio. I mix in 1/2 cup increments and use a hydrometer to be sure it is 1.021-1.023 If you do not have one, get one. Even before I started mixing my own IO, I used it. I find it is one of those invaluable tools, among others, needed to make sure the parameters in the tank are in pristine condition. Good Luck!

Angel

i read that on the package too, but i remember reading somewhere about the 2cup/5gal thing. and i do have a floating and a 'deep six' swing-arm hydrometer. but i thought the salinity of the water takes a long time to stabilize so what you measure after you mix might not be what it eventually will become...is this correct?

I mix mine after every water change and let a pump run in it (covered and with a heater) until the next week. I do this in case an emergency arises and I need it, it is ready. I always check it again, prior to adding to the tank, and it is still within the proper range. Mine does not fluctuate, but I do make sure it is disolved (mostly) before my first reading and add either more salt or RODI water as necessary.

Angel

the ocean is 1.026, so that might be a more 'realistic' SG to shoot for, 1.025 may be better depending on how quick you cope with EVAPORATION.

Bruce Dunphy

The IO instructions say 1/2 cup to a gallon, but I've found that this gives me an SG reading of around 1.032--literally a killer number. The 2 cup/5 gallon is better, yeilding a 1.020 reading at my house. So I do 1 level cup and one heaping cup (it's too fine to heap much) and I come out at a good 1.024.

I've had a 100 gal reef tank for more than a year, and I do 20 gallon water changes every few months.

But I'm new to nano reefing. I know that now I have to do weekly water changes. I think Angel has the right idea with his suggestion. It would be so easy to tweak the readings of a good batch of matured water, without the pressure and frustration of getting it perfect in a short time. And the emergency factor is something I didn't consider.

Thanks Angel.

Well based on my calculation it should be about right at 2 cups per 5 gallons. Here's my breakdown.

bag of Salt = 3.48 Kg = 35 GAL

which would come out to .49 Kg per 5 gallons

16 ounces = 2 cup = 1 lb = .49 Kg

when you guys use the term "cup" what kind of cup are you referring to? coffee cup, styrofoam cup, tea cup, plastic disposible cup?

Archived