Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sump is in! Need thoughts on quieting Rio 2500

MrNoahCount

MrNoahCount

Wel my sump is now plumbed in and working beautifully. The Rio 2500 is making a good bit of noise though. It is just sitting on the sand in the bottom of the sump. I can't mount it to the glass with the suction cups because of my pipe run. It hums quite loudly. picking it up off the sand quiets it some and I was wondering about maybe sitting it on something. I need suggestions. A household sponge perhaps? Some kind of aquarium sponge material? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

freakaccident

How about the bracket that it came with. The sand is probably getting sucked into it. It is probably trashed now so it might be a good time to get a good pump and toss the rio before it frys your tank. Poached Xenia anyone?

MrNoahCount

Can't use the bracket because of the orientation of the pump and no, it isn't sucking up sand either. I checked that it wouldn't before I ever put it in place. Thanks for your help.

freakaccident

On my setup I connected PVC to the rio fittings. The pump is suspended hanging from the pvc and not sitting on the bottom. You might try setting it up like that.

Rush Battle

Anything inert to set it on above the bottom that absorbs vibrations will work, filter material, a clean sponge that has no antibacterial stuff, etc. I use filter material myself, let us know how it works out.

Rush

ELGORDOINAVW

i made a stand for my rio w/ eggcrate so that it sits off the bottom of my sump, also when rio's are new they are notorious for being noisy but after a few days it shoud go away if not take it back to where you bought it and get another. don't mind me just my 0.02

Archived