Top Shelf Aquatics

Upgrade of tank

snoweel

Hi NR I have decided that my tank needs an upgrade, I am currnetly runing an eclipse 5gallon.. started out small, everything gew and now my corals occupy 80% of the tank..........

I want to upgrade to a 10 gallon but am scared of the cycle process, water perimiters and blal bla bla... I do NOT want to loose anything that I have right now because I took alot of time and spent alot of money to keep everything happy in my 5gallon. Tips are welcome on how I should make my upgrade.

2001886635155720417_th.jpg

2001817319744153879_th.jpg

2001926254326519569_th.jpg

Well by no means am I an expert on this but I do have a couple of suggestions.

1) Sort of restart your tank by buying new live rock for the 10g. Slowly add your livstock as the tank progresses, and keep the 5g running and use it for some other new endevor.

2) Start the other tank off by adding live rock and substrate from the 5g. Do not add all of it at once. It will definately have a slow cycle time, if at all, because the live rock is obviously cured. Add everything over as slowly as is possible. Start with some live rock/ over half the substrate, then to fish, then corals.

3) This is what I would do. Since the new tank needs more live rock than your 5g has, get 5-8 pounds of live rock from lfs. Cycle that in the tank. Add half of the live rock from existing tank when done cycling. Then you should slowly add fish and corals, while still keeping half of the other live rock in the 5g until it is done. When everythign has crossed over add the live rock.

Hope this is of some help. I hope others will correct me if I have givien wrong info, but it looks good to me.

Dan

first off this isnt a thread for the big tank section by any means so it needs to be moved

second as long as you keep the water changes to 50% another cycle shouldnt happen so here is what you do, place all of your stuff in the 10G and use all of the water and other stuff from the 5G and then fill the rest of the tank with new water

Archived