ReefCleaners.org

Started cycling my 2.5!

chadr

Bought a really nice piece of cured Tonga L/R the other day from the FS. It weighs around 2.5lbs and has some nice color to it already. While I was there, I talked them out of selling me around 3lbs of L/S from one of their tanks. I also bought a Surge 300 PH. After painting the background of my tank a midnight blue, I put the water, L/R, and L/S in. This was on 6/14. Ammonia is .25/ Nitrite 0/ PH 8.2/ Nitrate 0/ SG 1.023

My ammonia should be 0 also, correct??

The tank looks great right now (no livestock at all), but I know the algae monster will soon be upon me! I am poised to buy snails and hermit crabs though.

Chad

Well, I'm not by far the ultimate authority, but I do know a bit about the cycling process.

With you setting up just yesterday, the LR (and LS) will help a great deal. As you get some of the die off, your ammonia will spike which is desired as this is what starts the process.

First you'll have an ammonia spike, then as the ammonia is converted into nitrites, you'll get a spike at that point. Finally, as the cycle nears completion, you'll get a spike of nitrates.

The goal is to get ammonia and nitrites to 0 and confirm the presence of some nitrates. Most likely this cycle will take from 4-10 days. All I can say is that I took my time to a degree when adding stuff and it paid off.

I did get talked into adding three hermits at the same time as the LR/LS. One has survived (2.5 months) the other two became lunch. I will also recommend that you do some serious research before this as I would like to add some different cleaner hermits, but the blue legges that I have will beat them up (or vice versa) and I hate to get rid of one of the first residents (who is doing great)

Good luck, perhaps someone else can confirm this and/or add their expertise.

Thanks for confirming all of that for me.......no sign of nitrites yet. I will cross my fingers for tomorrow. I am really happy with the look of my tank and am eager (not too eager), to add a small clean-up crew. If I go with a hermit or two it will be the scarlet hermit. I read where they are less aggressive than the blue legs.

Even though I have a small 2.5, I am still going to get 1-2 turbo snails. I know they get a little large but I want big algae appetites!

Archived