SaltCritters.com

about to cycle, but I have a tweak in the process... can I get help plz? :)

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

Hey guys, I'm planning on cycling soon... can it work with this process??

1) TODAY - Fill tank up w/ water... then mix in the salt and get it to the right SG and all that

2) TODAY - Let water mix w/ PHs on...for how long?

3) Perhaps TODAY? - Throw in the BAGGED Aragamax sand

4) TWO DAYS LATER - Add in LIVE SAND on top of the sand bed about 2-3 lbs maybe?

5) Same time as LIVE SAND... add in Live Rocks...

Let cycle!

Will this two day period of rest between the introduction of the real live sand and live rock going to affect my cycle any?? Also if this process isn't ideal, please lmk :)

You should be fine.....I added regular sand and let it sit for a week before I added any live sand and rock....I added the live sand about 12 hours before I added the rock and everything was fine...

What brand of salt? Make sure you use RODI water, not treated tap water. I usually mix salt over night. How many gallon tank? I mixed my water in bucket, put in sand - then water - then rock. Takes a long time to settle sand 2nd. But doesn't really matter I guess. A 2 day period between adding sand and rock doesn't mean anything. Cycle will take what it takes regardless. Put it all in at once. Do you have your test kits? Don't cycle with a damsel, please.

I started up my new tank like this:

Bought tank

bought supplies from LFS

added crushed coral substrate

added pre-mixed water at 1.023

added 18 lbs. cured Fiji LR

turned everything on

A week later, my levels were perfect. Granted, the rock was cured, and the water was pre-mixed RODI. I tested and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, pH 8.2-8.3 and the ALK was normal. I talked to my LFS and they said I had a very short cycle and should be just fine to add in a cleanup crew and a fish.

So, I added in the following:

6 blue leg hermits

2 emerald crabs

1 turbo snail

1 peppermint shrimp

1 percula clown

Hopefully all will be well. I will be monitoring all the levels daily.

I choose not to cycle with a Damsel. The Damsels are small, fast moving, and have territory problems. I wanted to have a peaceful tank, and didn't want to try and catch the Damsel once the tank was cycled. I have read about plenty of people who have used them in the cycling process, so it is really up to you. B)

Dennis_said

It's a 15g tank, and I am using that Aragamax Ooglitic? I forget the brand, but I got it from MARINE DEPOT...

Can I add this right after I get my salt ready? And then add the LIVE SAND on top of it? I hear some people ADD the live sand first, then the Aragamax?? What does this do? And should I follow it instead?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Dennis_said

It's a 15g tank, and I am using that Aragamax Ooglitic? I forget the brand, but I got it from MARINE DEPOT...

Can I add this right after I get my salt ready? And then add the LIVE SAND on top of it? I hear some people ADD the live sand first, then the Aragamax?? What does this do? And should I follow it instead?

Thanks!

Make sure the salt is completely dissolved before adding the sand in..Depending on the salt & flow it could take days to dissolve or a few minutes =] Just look at the bottom & top of the tank and check if there are are any salt particles not dissolved.

The live sand should go on top of the dead sand so you don't smother critters in the live sand. If you don't like the look of the live sand, then you can just put in the back where you won't see it.

Archived