Pod Your Reef

Can I skip the whole cycle proccess

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I was wondering if I would be able to skip cycling a new tank if I used LR, skimmer, and 80% water from an established tank. The only thing that I will be adding to this tank that will be new besides the tank it self is black argonite sand. I want to move all my stock out of a scratched up 28g bowfront into a 24g aqua pod with 150w HQI. The light is alo a dowgrade from 250w socket style MH but shouldn't be too much a factor.

So it can be done with out killing anything if done correctly then sir

Yep it can be done.

Using the new sand. What I would do is add some of the old sand ( a couple of cups), to seed the new sand.

If the old sand is white, put a couple of cups on the bottom and then add your new sand on top to cover it if you dont want to see it. Then start moving some of the water. I would put all livestock in buckets with some powerheads while I did this. Then I would wait a couple for some of the sand to settle. Then start adding some of the rock. The less time the rock is out of good water and circulation the better. So keep going until done. Just keep your livestock in the buckets until the tank clears up. Once all cleared up you should be able to start adding some of the livestock back to the new tank.

Did it once to one of my buddies. Came out pretty good.

Holla!

totally, that's how i started in nanos. a 75-80% transfer of mature tank material including water, rock and sand. never saw any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates.

but really, as nips said, it's a tank transfer with some new water, the equivalent of a 30% water change. adn some new sand in your case.

gulfsurfer101

OK, so I just pulled off the tank swap of the centry,nah just kiddin but it did go pretty smoothly. I drained about 10 gallons into a big blue plastic container and dumped it. Then I filled it with with the remaining water and added all my tank inhabitants to it and set a power head in there to keep up the flow. Placed my biggest base rock on top of the newly laid sand and began filling with the old water till about half way. Placed my livestock in the tank and began to fill the rest of the tank with all of the old water, then filled the rest of it with newly mixed water. It's still a little cloudy from the black argonite but is looking pretty good. I can't wait till it settles so I can do the aquascape in there. I love the sunpod that it came with the most of all though. All in all I'm one smiling reefer.

Archived