ReefCleaners.org

After much Frustration, A hood and stand is born

luckybaker

It took a week, and so MAJOR mother/son bonding time to complete it, but its finally complete. It is mostly out of 3/4 and 1/2 inch oak, which really looks good. The pictures dont really do justice to the wood, in reality, its a darker color, and really looks nice. The only thing I have left to do is hang the 2 13 watt pc's from the top. If anyone can give me a good way of doing this, it would be much appreciated. I am using the DIY socket, as the bayco lights are too wide. Once that is done, all that needs to be done is the hinges need to be added to the top.

I am currently in search for more live rock, I have not been able to find any that jumps out and says BUY ME. Oh well, I will find those couple peices of rock soon. I currently have 1.4 pounds in there, I am hoping to end up with 3 or 4. Anyways, let me know of any suggestions.

Right side with the top open, I forgot to metion earlier, I had two 50/50 13 watts in the canopy, but last night, I broke a bulb, so I am back down to 1.

That is SO impressive. Beautiful job. I wish I was handy like that. You should make those and sell them, I'd spend a lot of money for a tank like that!

:)

I think I have devised a way to hang the lights. Pictures are soon to follow.

I have enough left over boards and material to build another hood and canopy. I am thinking I might do so and try to sell it to help pay for the cost of my tank. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Lucky

What lights do you plan to use? Do you plan to put some type of bracket in the hood to hold them? If so, any chance you could include the bracket as well in the hood you're building for me?

I thought somebody had mentioned two bookworms with the 13 watt 50/50 bulbs from Hellolights in their 2.5 somewhere. If I know what lights/bulbs to get (and where to get them), I will get those while I am waiting for my spiffy new hood and base!

Thanks!

I have 2 of the hellolights 50/50's over my 2.5. Very nice I might add. The actinic is true 03 and is ultraviolet (purple) in color and not blue. They do give a nice crisp color.

LiQuiD - these are the 'bookworm' variety with the 13 watt 50/50 bulbs from Hellolights is that correct?

I just got back from Lowe's where they have the RightLight's which look like the same exact thing only with yellow endcaps.

Hopefully I'm on the right track anyway(?).

I have the hellolights 50/50 over mine too, with the right-lites. The bookworm and the right-lites I think are made by the same people, so they are pretty much the same. The 50/50's look great.

Lucky

Yes, they are "bookworms" and Bayco does make both although I do not know if the rite-lights have the same "clip" as the bookworms. Heres mine with the endcaps at the opposite side as the socket and inner rubber stabelizer cut down slightly for additional light.

attachment.php?s=&postid=95546

Ryan,

Do you plan to paint the inside of the canopy white? It appears that seems to be the thing to do anyway.

Just curious....

A couple of new pics, I have all the live rock that I think I am going to put in there. Also, my hood is completely done.

I have added the hinges, finished staining it, and varnished it. I think I might have to do some re-arranging when I start getting some frags, there is not a whole lot of area to put frags.

MWehr - Did I ever reply to you? I tried once or twice, but I think your mailbox was full. If not, I will re-pm you.

The top, with hinges installed.

Dang Jeff... you are QUICK... didn't even have time to put a third picture up. :) Anyways, here is my final picture in the dark with the 50/50's on.

PS. I am leaving for Dallas tommorrow morning, I will be back sunday. Don't really know if I will have access to a computer down there, so if not, peace all.

Archived