Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help, cant get rid of damn algae!!!

Sahin

Please see the attached pics of this ugly brown algae that covers the rocks, sand and even some corals.

It looks like tiny hairs but at the same time form large mats and cover the sand bed.

DSC1.jpg

DSC2.jpg

DSC3.jpg

I have been battling this alage for about 4 months now.

My tank is a 24G shallow tank, lit by T5's and NO flouros. I am using Arcadia T5 tubes and Marine White NO tube.

All lamps are less than 2 months old.

Water parameters:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Cal: 400ppm

Phos: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I carry out weekly 10% water changes. And now have lots of Macro Algae in the tank to help fight the bad algae, however things are not working out.

All corals are growing nicely, but this algae is unsightly.

I am running a Prizm skimmer that I maintain in good condition. I also have two Maxi Jet MP600 powerheads which give more than enough flow for this tank.

I am running the lights for 8 hours per day. I have tried running phosphate remover but to no success.

I may run the tank dark for a week? What do you think?

Any ideas suggestions helpful and ID is even better. Thanks.

Cyano.

Red Slime Remover or Maracyn, I think thats what its called.

I would skip the dark step and go straight to chem warfare. I used it in my 55 reef and had 0 ill effects. Good luck

deacon hemp

Hey sahin it looks like you have a bad cyno problem,do you dose phyto for clams?there is a chem product thats suppose to work[i dont know the name?]but try to up your wc's %wise and frequency for a while and when you do a wc try to syphon it off stuff with a hose the best you can.Your water quality stumps me thou,not a sign of anything bad,how did it get like that?

Whoa! i just relized whens the last time u chaged your bulbs?If they're old that might be your prob!cause your waters in good shape,just some advise.

Archived