Cultivated Reef

New 75 Gallon price

bubbles3660

Hi reefers,

I was recently quoted an astronomical price at my LFS for a pre-drilled 75 gal long reef tank. Guy said the ballpark figure would be ~$3000 (CDN) - including tank, 30 gal sump/skimmer, mag-pump return, 2 x 150W MH, stand, live sand, base rock, live rock, and some kind of strange "spray piping" return system that eliminates the need for extra powerheads.

Prices are still a little inflated up here in Canada despite the dollar's parity but $3K still sounds a little steep to me. I wanted a simple plug and play acrylic sump with skimmer but he thinks that a custom made sump would be better - though much more co$tly, of course. What do you think?

(Oh and I am not much of a DIY guy.)

--bubbles

noobwithatank
Hi reefers,

I was recently quoted an astronomical price at my LFS for a pre-drilled 75 gal long reef tank. Guy said the ballpark figure would be ~$3000 (CDN) - including tank, 30 gal sump/skimmer, mag-pump return, 2 x 150W MH, stand, live sand, base rock, live rock, and some kind of strange "spray piping" return system that eliminates the need for extra powerheads.

Prices are still a little inflated up here in Canada despite the dollar's parity but $3K still sounds a little steep to me. I wanted a simple plug and play acrylic sump with skimmer but he thinks that a custom made sump would be better - though much more co$tly, of course. What do you think?

(Oh and I am not much of a DIY guy.)

--bubbles

IMO, that does seem high.. but i assume it would depend on the makers of all the items he has listed... try n find out, we would be better to judge it.

offtopic but where in canada?lol

AGA 75 gallon RR: ~$250

30 gallon aquarium for DIY sump/fuge: ~$70

mag 1800: ~$200

3/4" pvc for spray bar: $2

black pine stand: ~$150

48" sun pod: ~$800

75 lbs of live sand: ~$100

Aqua-C EV120 skimmer: ~$300

mag 9.5 for skimmer: ~$100

75 lbs live rock: ~$450 (assuming $6 a lb for fiji premium)

75 lbs base rock: ~$150 (assuming $2 a lb)

visi-stealth 250w heater: ~$30

TOTAL: $2602

that's in guestimated US prices though so a little higher in canada would be expected plus cost variation based on supplier. i'd say if it's a finished and functional 30 gallon refugium, powerful enough mag drive to justify spraybar and no powerheads, and a quality skimmer (i.e. aqua-c listed above) then $3000 canadian isn't bad.

I would say $2500 to $3000 is pretty close. My setup includes a lot of the equipment listed by petsunlimitedfish. My lighting is a bit more upgraded and I made myself a custom sump. I am running the same skimmer and similar magdrive pumps.

If its quality equipment then your in the ballpark

noobwithatank
T-Dot. The quote is from a Big Al's store.

--bubbles

IMO, dont go to bigal's there are many more and way better SW stores within the GTA, i myself travel there quite a bit in look of deals. there is also a decent " local" forum that have many of the so called "better" stores on them from the GTA. pm me if u would like this. most of them have deals everyone and a while. and big al's is overpriced for what you pay for. i myself would only get the tank from them.

btw, im from niagara :)

• 2 weeks later...

That spray bar is not gonna be enough flow for the entire tank, better off with powerheads.

Order online, Do some research I bet you can get it done for $2000.

I have my 75 gallon Perfecto setup for under $2300.

ATI Powermodule T5's, 20long sump, 100lbs live rock(use lots of dry rock, seed with 10-20lbs of live), 60 lbs live sand, ASM skimmer, plumbing, pump, 2 seio 820s, salt and water...

Archived