inTank Media Baskets

feather duster Q

WorldNation

I belive it to be good, it's probably breeding..... I don't belive your tank should go through any changes with nitrates-trites or ph so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Could you get a pic?? And is it a hawiian??

Luke

WorldNation

good to know.

i'm gonna che3ck all the lvl's tonight for changes, and tomorrow morning.

i dunno if its a hawiian or not. it looks like 2 feather dusters in on tube though, like one inside the other.

WorldNation

no, neverheard of phyto. what is it?

what about zoo plankton? when i first tryed feeding ym OB, a lot of the plankton got out and was everywhere, i think the feather dusters might have caught some...

"Phyto" is Phytoplakton, just an abrivation of mine. ;) It's green and might be in with the zoo that your feeding.... I'm not quite sure if feathers are able to catch zoo. What's in the zoo formula?? Rotifers?

I culture phyto and suggest that you do the same with your dusters. It's rare for a large duster to live more than 5 months without any special feedings. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's quite rare, I've only heard of a few people being capable of acheiveing such a feat. Anyway, if you are interested in cultureing phyto let me know I'll give you a few sites to look at and you can ask any questions necessary. It dose require space and a few minutes of your time each day. It's quite inexpensive too.

I don't know that the zooplankton is doing much for your brain. I belive the particles to be too small to capture. I think your fish would enjoy it, who knows. I do know that many sps can utilize zoo too. Just about anything with small polyps can utilize zoo.

I started to culture for the reason of me being stupid and buying christmas tree worms without any knowledge of their needs. I wasn't too happy about having to culture phtyo at first but now I see that many of my corals enjoy a good meal of phyto. I will soon be raising rotiers, their hatching as I type..... =)

Luke

WorldNation

well, the only thing my zooplanktop can says, is that it consists primarily of cltured daphnia spp.

i dunno about making my own phyto. i dont have the cash to start anything new atm. do you know if i can buy them anywhere?

http://www.dtplankton.com/ DT's are well known and might be at your LFS. If the bottles are not in a frig DO NOT BUY THEM!!! They are only good when stored in the frig. You must also store them there. Anyway, I'm not sure how much a bottle of these goes for.... so you'll have to find out.

I'm not sure what daphina spp. is, thanx, now you've made me do more reaserch.... lol. I'll get back to you on the daphina.....

You can also start a culture from DT's, all it takes is a air pump, 2 litter bottle, and fertilizer.

Luke

Yep, just like that brine stuff only the bottles are not cut in any way. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the lights, but you can get those 4' shop lights and the bulbs for around $20. No biggie and your talking to someone without a job...... :*( lol

Luke

Sorry havn't gotten to those daphina.... you replyed too soon.

Archived