Pod Your Reef

My New Finnex 20G M tank with Fuge

haburt510

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well finally I drilled a 1.25" hold on the side to install the Coolworks ice probe Chiller. Hopefully this will help keep the temp down. If not I will install a 2nd Ice Probe chiller on the other side. Im pretty sure 2x of those electric chiller will do the work. Got the 2nd one FREE from my uncle. But thats if needed only. Saturday I will add LR/Sand/Water. I'll post some pic later. Cheers

post-31614-1193437534_thumb.jpg

Well I got all the LR, Sand, water and every thing yesterday. I got all my LR from my uncle well established reef tank. He is using a calcium Reactor so all of this rocks he gave me had all these perfect purple coraline covered all over :) I also got 10 gallon of saltwater from his main tank and 10 gallon of salt water from the Atlantis aqurium. The the cycling period should be much faster since every thing is cured and ready to go. I got all this LR and water for FREE from unc. Great deal. Nothing beat free.

The only problem is that when the water from the main tank fall back into the rear section it also fall on top of the Main pump that bring water back into the main tank. Since the water fall on top of the pump it cause lots of bubbles to be sucked up back into the main tank. I micro bubbles all over my main tank. Is there a way I can solve this problem. I was planning of making a bubble catcher so the water fall down into that reducing so much bubbles in the rear section. Also the Aqua remora water fall down to which all makes lots of bubbles in the rear. NOT SURE.

ANY HELP.

post-31614-1193627158_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the mod. I am having some bubles aswell since I added all the equipment today, I dont know if its the skimmer or the koralia1. Guess I just have to wait to see if everything clears up.

I figured that when water goes back into the overflow it causes lots of air bubbles getting made which is sucked up by main pump back into the main tank as result many micro bubbles in main tank. Also when the Nano remora water gets skimmed it alsl fall back down and cause lots of air bubbles also. I fure that by making a bubble catcher which water has to go through first will solve the problem. I had some acrylic custom cut so they will fit nice and slugly into the little space I had. I made two bubble box for the overflow and for the remora. Place foam at the bottm which water has to go through. WORKS GREAT. NO MORE BUBBLES. The bubble box also cut down on 80% of the noise from water being all splash around. :D Plus also I added thin filter pad so it I can change the pad from all the junk that falls in it. Now I solved the bubble problem my tank is doing great.

Tank is done cycling and just added some corals and they are doing SO SO good. My duncan I feed it mysis shrimp and it eats it all up. Cool because it closes and opens when it eats. The 3 Ricordia I added are also doing very good. I also put a order in for my 19" Finnex 150Watts MH+2x PC light sytem so look forward to those coming in. I dont want to add any more corals until my light is in and water get good. Also im going to do a little aquascape change because the top rocks are not that stable. The temp is a stable 74-75 with out the chiller on.

So far every thing looking good and results are pretty cool

Sorry for the pics. I KNOW I KNOW. They suck

post-31614-1194382885_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1194382898_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1194382915_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I just couldnt stand those micro bubbles. Had to find a way to get rid of those. Well I went to my LFS and added couple more Ricordia. Dont want to add too much corals until I get my light sytem. Im going to give some SPS a try. What are the easier SPS corals that I should try first. Im new to SPS and want to start easy. Im like the Bosi & Chips type. Start with small 2-3 inch Frags

post-31614-1194412543_thumb.jpg

Just got my New Finnex 19" MH+PC 150watts-14K Phoenix DH bulb. In about 1 hour of new light on all my corals opened up alot. All zoos and Duncan seem to open up MUCH bigger. Just snapped some pics of my corals. Picture of the Duncan is 15 minutes after I just feed it some mysis shrimp. Duncan after feeding still opening wide waiting for more food.PIG.

Other picture of some nassarius snails going crazy for some way deep under my sand. Pretty cool cleaner. There where like 5 of them going crazy for some thing under there.Eats all the junk in the sand.

Im going to be adding more colorful zoos soon. Also try some SPS when the water get better. Milepora etc..

post-31614-1195014065_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1195014132_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1195014261_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1195014312_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Well tank is doing great. I had a little problem with green algae on the sand but starting to die off. If algae doesnt go away my plans is to get couple of nano cucumbers. My rics are also doing great. 2 of them started to have multiple mouths. I also added some cool sps. I think I been bite by the SPS BUG. I added couple bluish greenish acro, Milie, Pocillo. All my SPS are also do good with great polyps extenstion. Also more Rics, and Dentro and another Duncen. My Duncen are also starting to have baby month growing too.

Currently still juggling the calcium level and taking many water test to see how my tank goes. But so far so good. Enjoying the sps growing. Also feeding the Duncan and Dentro with mysis shrimp is pretty cool also. Sorry for the suck ass pic.

post-31614-1195965392_thumb.jpg

Got a bunch of cool zoo frags today. Pics of the rics when they came. Also the saler was very kind of giving me a FREE 2 inch frag of milliepora. Great deal.

Zoos

-Firehawks

-cyclops

-organism

-orange delights

-foxy

couple other bright pink zoos but dont know there names. I will post more pics when the open up and get use to there new home.

post-31614-1195966118_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1195966249_thumb.jpg

Got a bunch of SPS frags today. These 2 bar far my favorite. The Rose/pink mille & Pink/Green Birdsnest. Polyp extension is awesome. So far all my corals are doing so good. Ohh yeah. Sorry for the suck ass pics. I need to get a new camera. These sony cybershot sucks.OR maybe its my skills. :unsure:

Inspired by fellow NR'er Bluebastion tank. :bowdown:

post-31614-1196396345_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1196396504_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1196396520_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

haburt510,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I will check it out on Sat night. Also if you have the time and feel like it, could you give me the specs on the mod to the overflow? I'm really liking what you have done and want to do this my self. I really can't stand the trays. If it's easier you can email me at rpk72@aol.com

Thanks,

Ross

If I have time saturday I will take the Bubble boxes out and measure it for you. I recommend you measure how much space you will need in the rear because I use different size pumps which different setup. If it too lose it will rattle and if it too tight it might wont fit. It's a VERY tight squeeze back there with little room to work with. I also have a bubble box for the Aqua Remora Nano also because that too makes alot of micro bubles. After you get your bubble box in just put some sponges inside and your good. This will not only cut out the bubbles but will ruduce noise by 75%. You probably notice also that the rear where water return and drops to the main pumps, water splashes and make ALOT of noise. The foam will stop that.

Its been a while since I updated pics. My tank pretty new and little under 4 months old. So far corals are doing great and I pretty much learned enough to know how to care for my tank. lately I been fragging corals and I have to say its pretty cool. Temp is pretty stable and I was worried about the temp but so far temp been staying at78-81 so im pretty happy with that. But the test in when the weather get hotter. I might have to get a chiller.

Ross,

Here the pics you requested. Any request you need let me know. I'll try to get the size of that bubble box for you.

post-31614-1204172042_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1204172059_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1204172072_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1204172083_thumb.jpg

post-31614-1204172095_thumb.jpg

The tank looks great, can't wait until my lights come in. I emailed Ken from Finnex yesterday and he said they should be in today and if it's not a late shipment he will mail it out today. I will get some pic's up when my light comes in.

That would be great if you got the measurements that would help out big time. I did purchase a Rio 6HF Hyperflow pump to replace the stock one with but haven't changed them out it yet. (one of these days when I get around to it) From your pic I can't really see what the box looks like? I'm definitely going to do that mod & probably get a skimmer while I'm at it. If at possible can you get another view or angle to the box? I also noticed you have two Koralias in your tank, I have the nano Koralia and a hydro flow on the return....I'm now wondering if that’s going to be enough flow in my tank? After seeing your fan, (which by the way I thought was a very cool idea) I got a duel fan and I'm hoping that I don't need to get a chiller; it does get pretty hot here in Tampa. My NC gets around 82 at the highest but average is 79-81.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ross

I'll Try to get those measured for you and snap couple pics. I have to change the sponge any ways since is all nasty. The Fan I have is pretty much a must when I have the metal halide on. With out fan my tank will climb up to 89-90 and with the fan it stays at a stable 79-81. I also have a Hydor flow and that thing I have to say SUCKS. You can barely feel the current coming out of in on the return. I took mine off.

The tank looks great, can't wait until my lights come in. I emailed Ken from Finnex yesterday and he said they should be in today and if it's not a late shipment he will mail it out today. I will get some pic's up when my light comes in.

That would be great if you got the measurements that would help out big time. I did purchase a Rio 6HF Hyperflow pump to replace the stock one with but haven't changed them out it yet. (one of these days when I get around to it) From your pic I can't really see what the box looks like? I'm definitely going to do that mod & probably get a skimmer while I'm at it. If at possible can you get another view or angle to the box? I also noticed you have two Koralias in your tank, I have the nano Koralia and a hydro flow on the return....I'm now wondering if that’s going to be enough flow in my tank? After seeing your fan, (which by the way I thought was a very cool idea) I got a duel fan and I'm hoping that I don't need to get a chiller; it does get pretty hot here in Tampa. My NC gets around 82 at the highest but average is 79-81.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ross

That's weird my Hydro flow works great? I have one in my NC also and it works well too. I hope my fan will keep the temp down as much as yours, it's the one thing I'm still worried about. Hopefully my MH will arive today or Sat and I can see if it makes a difference or not.

are you having micro bubble problems? my remora nano is spewing tonnes of bubbles

nvm, just saw you have a bubble box. kinda not an option for my tank. need to find a way to stop the bubbles

Just went to swap out pumps and it looks like I need to go get a few things to make it work, the tee & stock plumbing doesn't quit match up with the Rio? Would you have any ideas on what I could do? Also I just got done looking at the pic of the bubble box again and I'm trying to figure out how you have it attached? The noise from the pump is driving me CRAZY!! and trying to get to it with the trays is to much of a pain in the ass, will definetly be putting in the bubble box this weekend!

The good news is Ken from Finnex emailed me today and said the new light is in and will be shipped out today.

Thanks again for you help,

Ross

• 3 weeks later...

Archived