inTank Media Baskets

Anybody keep Angels successfully in their Nano?

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

What I mean is w/ the smaller Nanos... I have a 15 gallon long... and I was at Marine Depot and most of their angels require 20, or 30 gallons and more..

I was wondering if anybody has any nanos my size and has been able to maintain Angels... I really like the FLAME ANGEL more than anything and would love to have one in my tank... !!

Any advice? Would a REFUGIUM help? It adds volume, but would th Angels just like more space???

What do you guys think? I would like to hear all sides I guess :)

Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't do it...There is a reason that angels (even the tiny pygmy angel) are recommended for larger tanks. They just don't do well. I've kept angels off and on for years, but only had any success in tanks 100g or larger. In smaller tanks, like 50-60g they appear to do well for a while, and then just stop eating and waste away. In my experience, they just don't belong in smallish tanks.

The refugium won't help IMO either. They need swimming room with lots of live rock to pick at. The 10-30 lbs you likely have won't be enough. I don't think the 75 lbs I currently have in my 100g is enough.

I have a flame angel in my 20g, and he's doing well. He looks great, although I would like to get a bigger tank for him to swim around in. Also, he's pretty terittorial in the small tank.

technoshaman

I had a pygmy angel (centropyge argii) that was in my 18 gallon for a few months - sadly I lost him and another fish to a fire shrimp that turned predatory - I ended up tearing tank apart to pull him out after angel dissapeared and I found him with my 6 line trapped in his claws (he apparently had been ambushing them while they sleep? - he is big about 3"+). The angel was fine and I had a lot of LR in that tank he would just cruise and graze all day - I haven't tried again but I would say 29 gallons would be minimal for most dwarf angels. Also many of the dwarfs seem to suffer from high mortality even in pristine tanks after appearing healthy for months - I suggest you spend the money on a net caught / well handled one if possible - try www.seacrop.com..

Archived