Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do I feed these guys?

myelin

I got a couple of emerald crabs, a peppermint shrimp, and 6 blue leg crabs. I know the blue legs will be okay munching on algae, but what about the peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs?

There are no corals in the tank, and no fish. DO I need to feed them a supplement to keep them healthy? Someone said nori? What is that?

Thanks! :woot:

Nori is dried seaweed that can be found in Asian markets. You can feed these guys regular fish food, pellets, maybe a small piece of fresh shrimp or other seafood, whatever. Just go lightly. These creatures are scavengers and will typically clean up what your fish miss. Are you planning on adding fish?

Originally posted by Satchmo

Nori is dried seaweed that can be found in Asian markets.  You can feed these guys regular fish food, pellets, maybe a small piece of fresh shrimp or other seafood, whatever.  Just go lightly.  These creatures are scavengers and will typically clean up what your fish miss.  Are you planning on adding fish?

I am planning on adding fish. I don't think right now would be a good time since the tank has only been cycling for almost 2 weeks. I don't want to get a Damsel either. I hear they are just a..well, I hear they suck when you want to get them out. I want to run a peaceful tank. When should I look into getting a pair of clowns?

When your levels are right you can add fish anytime you'd like. Satchmo is right on. Fish pellets work great for the inverts. When it's feeding time in any tank I have peppermints in they get more excited than the fish do. They come surrying along to grab a piece or two. They equate my hand with food and now try to cling to my hand whenever I have to move stuff around in the tank.

Quite a comical shrimp I must say.

Originally posted by jdsabin1

When your levels are right you can add fish anytime you'd like. Satchmo is right on. Fish pellets work great for the inverts. When it's feeding time in any tank I have peppermints in they get more excited than the fish do. They come surrying along to grab a piece or two. They equate my hand with food and now try to cling to my hand whenever I have to move stuff around in the tank.  

Quite a comical shrimp I must say.

I would agree on the peppermint shrimp! Last night when I first acclimated him to the tank, it must have been the shrimp olympics. He was literally doing laps around the tank. It was funny.

Anyhow, I picked up some brine shrimp (frozen) and some Omega One flake food from the LFS, along with a clown. So much for my previous post about not getting a fish. I showed them my test results, and they said I was ready for a fish. I didn't want to get a Damsel, so I got the clown. He is acclimating now in his baggie. Hopefully I can get some good camera shots of him tonight. B)

I'm pretty certain that Hikarti (hmm is spelling right) have sinking invert pellets that hermies and crabs love you could try those, but as others had said when u get some fish they can survive with out target feeding most of the time.

P.s

I have a 12 gallon tank. The clean-up crew has been in there for a few days, and they are doing great. The percula clown isn't eating. I am watching him closely, and if he doesn't eat tomorrow, I will take him back to the LFS. He is swimming in a small cave in my tank, looking around.

All the levels of my tank are okay. The Fiji LR was cured, and I added RODI water with a SG of 1.023. My temp is sitting right at 80 deg. F, ammonia level is 0, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 10.

Ok, you want those trates down to zero. I like to add some nitromax to get a tank started. A clown staying in one place at first is normal. Not eating though....hmmm. Also , your clean up crew is way hardy. Them doing ok doesn't really tell you how a fish would do. Just my advice, take or leave it. Best of luck.

:ast night I thought the clown was dying. He was sitting inside a small cave in the live rock. He layed down and didn't move very much.

This morning I wake up and he is swimming about the tank, looking healthy. He does have some white spots on him now. Not many - just a few very small white spots. Is that ICK?

Thanks for the advice though. B)

Your clown may have the marine version of Ick.

Clown fish tend to be susceptible to this ailment.

Also known as Velvet.

If the fish has an almost satiny finish to it, you probably got a sick fish.....

What LFS did you get this critter from?

Also.....

Is this the same Koolaid from JNT?

Yep, same koolaid. I got the fish from Fish n Chirps here in Denton.

Well, had had some white spots on him, but next thing I knew, they were all gone? Very strange. I don't have sand as a substrate either, so it wasn't sand.

He is acting very strange. I haven't seen him eat yet, and he just hovers near the bottom of the tank. He actually lies down on the crushed coral, and takes a nap. I am thinking I might take him back.

What do you guys think?

That sounds like an unhealthy clown....

Good idea to take him back.

Does he rub against the rocks?

It he kinda spastic?

If he does the above, it sounds like the early stages of Velvet.

If he just kinda lyes there, it is the late stages, and it would not do any good to treat it....

Still not sure. The LFS has a 2 day policy on returned fish. I got him on Saturday. I exchanged a dead emerald crab the other day and saw a dead clown in the clown tank. I might just go to another fish store. The girl at the one closest to me tried to convince me that ICK doesn't exist in salt water. She also hassled me about the 2-day dead fish-invert policy. I said, well heck it was Sunday when he died and you weren't open for me to bring him back. :D

A bunch of young people work there, and only 2 of them really know salt water stuff. :|

Originally posted by d0lz

Wow dallas/denton people, haven't seen any of them on here in awhile.   Where is this fish store you got your stuff at koolaid?

It is here in Denton, off 380 (University) and Malone street. The place is called Fish n Chirps.

Originally posted by d0lz

How does it rate compared to other LFSs?

I really don't know. My other local choices are PetCo and Petsmart - which doesn't carry marine accessories/fish.

Denton is too far away for me....

My personals are a marine fish place just north of 635 on 35.... I can never remember the name of that place, but it is a hole in the wall.

Other favorite is Boutique Pets on Garland road...

I've not been to Boutique Pets, but I think that Saltwater Solutions (I believe that's what the one on I-35) is called has good livestock selection. I've not been there in awhile. There is a place over in Las Colinas/Irving that has some really neat stuff, their web address is here , if you've not heard of them. I also like North Dallas Aquarium, but they're kinda stupid there =]

Salt Water Sollutions....

That's the one...

Dallas North has some nice looking stuff, but they are VERY proud of their livestock, and I am concerned about the health of their fish.

Last time I was in there, every clown they had in every tank had a nice healthy case of velvet.

Bruce Dunphy

I just came back from Saltwater solutions. They're either unfriendly or shy--I don't know which. They normally have a lot of fish, but today they didn't have much. Their lighting is questionable IMO--eight foot dual color NO bulbs over the coral tanks. One thing, though: it's a good place to "rescue" frags. If you catch them on a good day they have a lot to offer. I must have come just before a big shipment.

Well good deal guys. I am waiting on my 32w lamp before I start getting coral. I got another clown from Fish n Chrips today. It seemed to brighten up the other clown that was in the tank.

Archived