Cultivated Reef

Should I add a sump or not?

moymch

I keep throwing this idea around every other month or so. I have a 20Gal set up with about 30lbs of rock. 1xDamsel, 1xClown, Frogspawn, Open Brain, and Flower Pot Coral. I'm running a Aqua-C skimmer (which to this point I have not been happy with!) and a power sweep power head. And of coarse a heater.

Would a sump help other than to hide all the stuff in the tank?

So undecided and need HELP. My wife says I just want to spend money. That could be as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Ditch your flowerpot coral (gionopora?) first of all, nothing but problems. Adding a sump now would be a pain in the ass, and barely worth it. I think your wife is right, keep the set up simple.

hth

yeah I have a 20gal and I've been toying with the idea of a sump for some time. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it for me since my tank isn't drilled and I didn't want a HOB overflow and run the risk of flooding my apartment. I think a HOB fuge is a better way to spend money :-)

-skeletor-

I didn't think AquaC made a skimmer. Do you have pic? HOB sumps are simple. Is your skimmer in your tank with rest of equiptment? It will make alot more room with HOB. Also I hope your clown doesn't host with your frogspawn, it will irritate it. Eventually killing it (most likely)

i have a sump and a overflow box. i think its worth the cost since i was able to transfer my heater and skimmer all to the sump.

Archived