SaltCritters.com

Shrooms falling off rock?

The Unit

I have had my shrooms for about a month and all of the sudden i have lost two[one blue and one green striped] they get white at the base and then fall off.....????? i have no idea y and my water seems perfect....has this happened to anyone else?

hmm, not a good sign. This happened to a friend and I cant figure out why......maybe they were doing bad when you/he got them?

i have 2 shrooms that wont stay on rocks i tried rubberbanding em to rocks but they never stuck but they do great on my sand bed now

Mushrooms are the only corals that move. They could just be sauntering around looking for more / less light or more / less current. Give it time -- if you look at the thread with pics of my tank, that big pinwheel 'shroom was, last time I checked, unattatched and growing like a weed.

Their ability to roam is often why you see 'shrooms at the bottoms of LFS' tanks ... the MH lights are too much for 'em. I got the pinwheel and a cute furry one (now happily attatched) for $10 'cause they were loose.

i may be wrong, but I dont think mushrooms "move" voluntarily. They may unattach themselves in Hopes of finding more light or current or whatever, but I dont think they can actually move. Someone correct me if im wrong

Your both right!

It's not as if they have a brain telling them, "jeez it looks better over there, I think I'll cruise", but they do have the ability to "voluntarily" move if they don't like conditions. They are one of the toughest corals to stay where you want them to stay!

They do and will move around at will to find the best location for them. They move more then other similar corals due to the fact that they are more or less anenome's give or take a strand of DNA. My shrooms are constantly moving up the rocks toward the lights (which is kind of anoying when they start to cover other corals and need to be chopped and put back where I want them).

Archived