Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nitrite/Nitrate test results - questions

myelin

I have a 12 gallon Eclipse tank that has been cycling for a week and two days. Here are the stats:

18 lbs Fiji cured Live Rock

Crushed Coral substrate

stock Eclipse biowheel filtration

Rio 50 + Rio 90 powerheads

50w heater

Here are my test results as of 5 minutes ago:

Specific Gravity: 1.022-1.023

pH= 8.0-8.1

Alk: light blue (normal)

Nitrite: light blue (0-0.1?)

Nitrate: 10 p.p.m.

Ammonia: 0

I performed the tests with the Marine test kit from Red Sea.

My question is, how do I read the Nitrite and Nitrate tests? On the indicator card, there isn't a blue colored square that pertains to the re****s I recieved on the Nitrite test. Does this mean the level is of the chart or maybe a false reading?

I did the same tests on June 8 and got the same Nitrite and Nitrate levels. The only thing different int he test was the pH. The pH on June 8 was 8.3.

What does this mean? Is my tank ready for a cleanup crew? I am starting to get some algae on the substrate. I have a few critters on the rocks at night (bristle worms, an orange worm of some sort) and a featherduster on one of the rocks.

Thanks for the help.

MVC-119S.JPG

MVC-124S.JPG

I went to my LFS and showed them the test results. They advised me to get 6 blue leg hermit crabs and 2 emerald crabs. I got them about 30 minutes ago. Hopefully everything will go okay. If I am correct, I had about a week and one day cycle with the LFS rodi water and cured Fiji live rock.

That little featherduster pokeing its head out of the rock (second pic) is a good indication of water quality. Feather dusters do not like amonia or nitrites at all and usually won't come out and open up full until everything in the tank is OK.

I figured that was a good sign. :)

Today I purchased 6 blue leg hermits, 2 emerald crabs, and a peppermint shrimp. They all seem to be doing fine. I think one of the emerald crabs is resting. He is sitting almost vertical under a rock.

Originally posted by koolaid

Can you provide me with some proof or testimony that this test kit is a joke?

Thanks.

Yes. I have used Red Sea's test kits in the past. The calcium test kit in particular is very poor. The colors of the samples are so different with respect to the colors on the chart that I would be continually guessing in trying to determine the results of the test. The Seachem Ca test, on the other hand, uses an endpoint titration method - very accurate for a hobbiest kit. All Seachem kits come with reference solutions so that you can verify the accuracy of your kit at any time should you suspect that there is an error. There is just no comparison in my opinion but if you wish to persist with your kit, you're very welcome to do so.

Originally posted by Pikelet

Yes.  I have used Red Sea's test kits in the past.  The calcium test kit in particular is very poor.  The colors of the samples are so different with respect to the colors on the chart that I would be continually guessing in trying to determine the results of the test.  The Seachem Ca test, on the other hand,  uses an endpoint titration method - very accurate for a hobbiest kit.  All Seachem kits come with reference solutions so that you can verify the accuracy of your kit at any time should you suspect that there is an error.  There is just no comparison in my opinion but if you wish to persist with your kit, you're very welcome to do so.

Well, I actually returned it today. I was having the same problems you experienced. I was having a hard time getting an accurate reading. I kept saying "Okay, is th is light pink, or pink? It does have some grey tint to it...is it grey? Maybe in between grey and pink?" :D

I already checked out the Seachem kit, and it is half the price and has the same 5 tests I need (pH, alk, ites/ates, NH3,4)

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass in my other post, I just wanted some explanation as to why the kit wasn't quite up to par. ;)

No worries Koolaid!

You develope a thick skin in this forum after a while! You find alot of peeps spout advice (much of it is from experience I should add), without qualifying it!

Colormetric assays are less accurate than the end point titration assay that Pike talked about. The main problem with the colormetric test kit is there is not standard or control for batch or lots of reagents. So, they send out the same color card with different lots of reagents. Therefore, Lot #1 at 0 ppm NO2 might give you a sky blue color.....while lot #2 gives you alittle darker blue, you might inadvertantly think you have NO2 present! However, I might add that the titration assay (which you color indicators) are still open for user interpretation as to the change in color.

Better test kits come w/ a reference sample used to test the reagents to make sure they havn't gone bad.

When you first get the kit use the reference sample and run the test. Now you know exactly what color your suppose to be looking for. Helps make determining when your water sample has turned the correct color.

Charles

Archived