Top Shelf Aquatics

question about perc in nano..

samstersam

a percula clownfish is good in a 15 gallon?

i'm thinking getting one more fishy...who would go good with him (not another clownfish)

another question is how do u distinguish ocellaris and percula and false percula clowns...I know there is a fin ray counting method, but any other methods? (These little buggers don't stay still enough for me to count them)....I heard something about the eyes are completely black on ocellaris and percs have orange eyes with black pupils...i've seen "percs" in my LFS but they seem to have slightly black eyes, making me think that it's an ocellaris)

which of these grows to be the smallest? I heard it was the percula...

You could put another perc in if you added them both at the same time. They would become a pair. Its always neat to watch. Also you could consider a goby of some sort. A lot of people have watchman gobies and I personally think the flame gobies are really cool. Its all your prefererence. Make sure your fish won't grow more than three inches. Also, don't get a goby if you want to see it all the time. They are very shy. Another to thing watch out for is gobies like to carpet surf. In other words they seem to like dry land outside of your tank instead of the water in it. I personally haven't had a any problems with my goby jumpin ship, but I have a hood. Look for a fish you like. Most fish are compatible with clowns.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other qustions, lol. Perculas most of the time have the first white stripe (near the head) and the second one (near the middle) connected by a black bar. Perculas have beady black eyes and are generally brighter in color. And yes. perculas do grow to be smaller than occellaris. Also, I'm assuming your talking about the normal percual clowns (the orange ones) as they're are color variations (note the black and white percula in my sig.). Everybody always likes their clownfish and they are a very good choice for a nano.

P.S. I love my clowns!

Percs get the black lines to attach to each other as the fish get older. They will be independent on young fish, I do not know how long this process takes. As for the eyes.... the true percs will have a distinct "pupil" in their eye, the false have a solid black eye where the iris and pupil just run together. It is hard to tell on small young fish, but if you look at full grown clowns, you will be able to see the difference clearly. After that, when you know what your looking for, you should be able to pick it out on the small ones.

Archived