ReefCleaners.org

OK all you Reefmeisters...

tammymacb

We all know that drinking and dialing is a bad thing...Well, I've done something very similar this week. At midnight, after a very stressful issue with my BC29, I bid on a reef tank on Ebay. ACK! Of course, with 2 hours left, I'm winning it.

Anyhoo, it's a sadly neglected 55 gal with a nice stand but no hood. There are currently some pathetic looking corals living in it with a handful of fish. It comes with 2 filters ( wanted an undercabinet sump ) and lights ( which will all be changed out for good reef lighting and a nice hood by me ) There seems to be lots of neglect going on with the tank. You can see that the sand is very dirty. The minimal amount of coral is sparse.

My plans are - 1- Get rid of all the sand entirely but keep the LR.

Bring the fish to the fish store for credit. ( I know that stock in the tank has a pair of bonded clowns, a 6 line wrasse- both which I already have in my BC )

Set up the LR with new sand and water, cycle it in the dark and add a good cleaning crew. Then only after I have a good base, I'll add new lights and start moving my current BC contents over. ( Including many corals, some fish and 35 pounds of live rock )

Any tips on setting this up with minimal stress to both myself and all fish involved would be more than welcome.

Also- If I have to do the two hanging pumps instead of the sump- what is the BEST system I should look at? I want to do the best I can with this poor neglected tank.

My current BC

img0277ia3.jpg

I wouldn't dump the old sand, Store it in a bucket, and wash it out. Can always use it for a fuge later on, another tank, or give it to a friend.

Taking the fish & coral to a store for credit would probably be a decent idea, I wouldn't try to move a tank and set it right back up.

your BC29 looks like it needs some TLC.

My sister has a BC29 as well, and it looks just as sad :-( She doesn't keep up with it anymore .. not much at least.

Umm..not sure why my BC looks like it needs work. I work on it almost daily. Do weekly water changes, test all the time and have a great cleaning crew.

I'm a little surprised at the comment.

neanderthalman

I am as well. I think your BC is looking rather well. Sure, there's a little algae on the side glass and minmal detritus on the sand, but whatever. It's an aquarium, not a surgical ward.

Welcome to NR Tammy! :)

GFY Wiszmaster! :angry:

Archived