Innovative Marine Aquariums

confused with temperature fluctuation issue

smallreef

Hey I'm having some issues with temperature fluctuations in my tank and am confused with people who raise their temperature in their tank up a couple of degrees for the summer months.

I used to have some serious temperature fluctuations in my tank due to the pc lights being enclosed in an eclipse hood. I since made 3 vents in the hood along with a fan angled down on two of the vents. Up until this week it has kept my tank going from 80.1-80.6 throughout the day. Now that it is warmer my tank seems to be going from 80.1-81.9 during the day, and it is only going to get warmer here as summer approaches

Heres the question....

I've seem numerous posts on RC where people for example say they keep their tanks at around 79 in the winter months and maybe 82 during the summer months. If I slowly bring the temp in my tank up to 82 isn't the temp going to raise even more now that the tank is starting at 82 in the morning then throughout the day where it gets warmer along with the lights going on. I dont understand how raising the temperature in the tank helps? wont this just raise the temp even more during the day?

Christopher Marks

If the temperature is rising because because the room temperature is warmer, and not from your lights, slightly raising your tank temp will work. Your tank will already be as warm as the room, so it won't pick up any more heat. That way you don't stress your tank out from a daily 2 degree flux. This change cannot fix the problem however, if one day the room is really hot - say 85+.

IMO, the only safe option is to invest in a window AC unit, or get an iceprobe chiller.

Archived