Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Got my DrMac rock...it rules! Check it out!

Vincerama

Hi guys!

I just put in the rock I got from Dr. Mac, it is very cool! Very interesting shapes, not just lumps and ovals!

Take a look at it in my tank...

V

And here are the rocks spread out as I got them in the package. It is Kaelini rock (tonga?)

I hope the cycle doesn't brutalize all of the coraline algae.

I also noticed a small white crab, which I can no longer find and some sort of anemone looking thing that is transparent and the size of a fingernail. I hope they can survive the cycle...

V

that's a toe-nicate!

;)

....don't look at me, I'm hideous...DON'T LOOK AT MEEEEEE!!!!

(I checked, my real toe is fine, unlike my jpeg compressed toe)

V

Hey Vince, looking good!!!! Nice rock. Dr. Mac rules. From what I have heard the coralline may recess (if thats the right word) during the cycle but it should come back with a fury several weeks later.

Thats what Im hoping anyway.

Bill

I also got Dr. Mac live rock. It was full of life and covered in coralline growth. You can go to my web site and look at pictures of the rock right when I put it in the tank and pictures of the rock a little over a month later! I am sold! From what I hear Kalinie rock colors up MUCH better than a lot of other types of rock out there!

I would get rock from him again! I am even thinking about getting rock for a 125 from him in a couple of months! It is worth the extra little he charges!

OH! Vincerama, I would get the rock off the glass.....this makes it very hard to clean the glass of the tank! You would always be moving the rock to clean the tank....

OK, I'll move the rock.

The problem I have is that I think I might have over done it with the rock. I asked Dr Mac if he thought 15 pounds was good for a 10g, he suggested 20 lbs, and Bill also seemed to have got 20, so I did. Mine is so oddly shaped that I had a hard time fitting it in.

I think I should have got smaller equipment as well. I bought the ebo jager 75W, but it is too tall for vertical placement. And then I bought 2 maxi-jet 400's and a Rio 90 (for variety) and I find that the Rio fits MUCH better in the tank! So I think I'll leave the RIO hidden in the back and keep one maxi-jet for salt mixing and maybe plumb the other maxi so I can run it outside the tank to bulkheads...or simply buy a RIO 180 to replace it in the tank. My original thought was that I would eventually run a SCWD with the maxi-jet PH.

I never realized I'd be so hard up for space!

Oh yeah, and I stuck a Prizm skimmer off the back too, which takes up space. I am now considering a small sump or something to toss the heater and skimmer in...

V

So where did you order this Dr Mac rock from? Looks like just what I am in need of to some character to my tank. Looks good keep use posted on the progress.

I got them from www.drmaccorals.com. Call him and talk to him, he seems like a nice knowledgeable guy!

I really do like the Kaelini rock he has, especially compared to the lumps of fiji that they have at the LFS!

V

ROFL, man what the hell are you doing acoustic, I didnt even notice his toes until you posted the zoomed it pic, you got a toe fetish lol. Or maybe its coralline growth....

There is one essential tool to getting overly large or inappropriately shaped rocking into your tank. A hammer. Just take the piece that's a pain and break it to smaller pieces with a hammer, it'll still be good live rock, and it'll be easier to fit into your tank.

Archived