inTank Media Baskets

Safeguarding overflow from wet dry under tank

napydred

Hey everyone, I just got a 55 gallon set up and have a few questions. There is a wet dry underneath the tank in the stand. Is there a way to safeguard this from overflowing in case my return pump goes out? there are ball valves in the plumbing but this is only a manual shut off. Thanks, any info or insights into the BEST way to set this up would be much much appreciated. Thanks

have you tried to see if it will? On my last store bought sump, there was just barely enough space so that it wouldn't overflow. Also, how is it setup the main tank to go to the wet/dry filter? Drilled, hangon, reef-ready, etc..

Once we know better we should be able to give you an example of what to do

don't fill the sump up to the top. fill it up to a certain spot and test it by turning off the return pump and see where it drains to. put a peice of tape there or something to mark the spot and top the water off only to that line.

is this a hang on overflow? if so, then don't worry because if you loose power you're probably going to end up with a flood anyways. :(

Tim

I put a small hole in the return hose just above the waters surface...this way when the power goes out or i need to shut it down, it looses it suction and will not pull water back out from inside your tank back down to the sump.

Just make sure to leave enough water level room for when the extra water from the fuge it sent to the tank and that it doesnot go above the water hole level in the return hose.

You will see a small steady stream of water coming from this hole into your tank, this is normal. Most manufactures already have added this feature to the return hose, I know the y did on 1 of mine and on the other I added it myself.

Archived