ReefCleaners.org

would a dwarf octo be a good 10-20 gallon nano resident?

maroonclown

maroonclown

I'm asking this because dwarf octo's get to be about eight inches long, some even smaller. I realize that it would be the only invert in the tank. To create a more stable environmet, I will add a storage tote as a sump. Can this be done, or is it too wild of an idea ( at this stage, it is only an idea!)?

search the site for octos and you'll find a link to a board, such as this one, that is dedicated to the keeping of octos.

you should know in advance that they are brilliant creatures and major escape artists. they also have a short life span and will eat almost any invert you put in the tank.

I've always wanted to have one but the they seem to be a hell of a lot of work for a short life span (6 months I think)

Yeah, that's basically what I've heard as well. Their natural life spans are around 1 year or so, so by the time you get one, he's only got around 6 months or so to live. Also, I would worry about them getting stressed and inking in a nano. The ink would probably suffocate them in that small of a confined space.

I wouldn't try it, but if you want to talk to other people first, there's also a forum over on reefcentral.com about it. It's towards the bottom listed under "Cephalopods".

-Dan

about 3 years ago i bought one and it died after a few days. So i bought a red pacific octo and it lived for about half a year, then it laid its eggs and then it died. Up until that point it was very easy to take care of, i didnt have to do anything but keep him fed. They are cool to watch but they arent very friendly.

• 3 weeks later...
fishbabies

for the true nano experience....where you are using live rock and sand and sand sifters and algae eaters to create the biological filter microcosm, i would imagine that the octo would destroy just about everything except the biological bacteria. whenever i see octos at fish stores, they are in tanks all by themselves.......and the tank is usually connected to some heavy duty equipment.

Archived