Cultivated Reef

am I ready?

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

Well Guys, its been a 3 1/2 week road.. but my ammonia is finally down to zero again. I never saw the nitrites spike. IS it still going to??? Or could I have missed that part?

Before I go buying stuff half hazardly... I want to know what kinds of cleaning guys are best for my set up. I have a lot of algel growth on the sand bed and rocks. Only sum growing on the sand bed.

Thanks for the imput!!

newbiefishgirl

Crakeur

The nitrites and nirtates are both 0. But to tell you the truth I never saw those move the whole cycle. The ammonia moved way up to 1 and took a week to go down.

What do you think?

what did you cycle it with? i'm thinking maybe there was minimal bio-matter to start the cycle maybe? that's the thinking behind the cocktail shrimp thing but i usually just go for the freshest live rock and just let that cycle thru. :x altho i am beginning to change my thoughts on no wc's during cycles. espi's beginning to win me over on that arguement, advocating wc's (i didn't expect him to be using logic! :P ).

maybe your rocks were devoid of critters or maybe already cured? you usually still see a little cycle or diatoms at least no matter the state of the LR. how old are your test kits?

newbiefishgirl

I am useing the correct test kit, says Marine Saltwater fish on the blue box.

I used a shrimp and LR to cycle. My live rock was the really good stuff with coraline already on it.

I just don't know.... but I definatly saw an ammonia spike occur and go down again.

I say go for a couple of snails. Have you seen any critters on your rock? This may be most successful at night once the lights are out.

newbiefishgirl

palaegic,

I didn't know if there were critters on the rock. I have looked during the day but never at night. What would they look like??

I leave the lights on quite a bit, so I dont know if that affects them coming out.

what do you think??????

One night after the lights have been out for a few hours and the room is pitch dark, get a flash light and sneak up on the tank.

Spotlight the rock, and if you have "pods" you will see them scurrying around, usually away from the light. they look like little clear/beige bugs. You may also see bristle worms, they sort of look like a millipede.

Archived