inTank Media Baskets

Blackocean's 55 gallon reef build

BlackOcean

Well this will be my first reef of this size. I have questions on the equipment and would love feed back and opinions.

All I have so far is the tank. Dimensions are 36x18x20 it is 55 gallon. I also have a stand that came with the tank. The stand needs sanded and redone but other than that it looks good.

These are my plans. This is where I will need help.

Lighting

3x70w halide(already have two) Would this penetrate 20in.

Or 4x39 T5

Or 1x250 halide

Any other ideas?

Flow

2x Koralia #1(already have)

and 2x Koralia #3 total 4.

Or Closed loop.

Sump/Fuge

I already have a CPR large HOB. That is completely filled with chaeto. Would this be to small.

Or I could convert my 20L that is being transfered into this setup as a sump.

Can I drill the bottom of this tank. For a tank this size it is the thickest glass I have ever seen.

Skimmer

Aqua C remora

I am really not in any hurry to get this tank up and running and am going to take my time. My 20L will be transfered when this tank is up and running.

Thanks,

Blackocean

that'd be a 58 you have =) I had the same tank before going to my 120. I used the 4 x 39 tek fixture and my long tentacle plate loved it. I'd suggest sticking with the t5 or two sets of 150 MH, the 250 doesn't give you enough spread. I'm on my work computer, but when I get home this weekend I could show what a 58 with a single 250 looks like

That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?

im not completely sure 70 watt halide would make it to the bottom. maybe?!

3-70 watt halides are actually less efficient than 1-250 watt halide.

not all the wattage released by the halides can be used by corals, matter a fact alot of light is unusable wich is why alot of companies make special reef bulbs concentrated on specific spectrums of light corals can use. SO back to the jist of this paragraph, per watt, your lumen output is less than with 1-250w, a 250w would be considerably more efficient than 3-70 watts, in the fact that you are getting more light the coral can use per watt. anyone following me? i think i lost myself. also a 250w is gunna have much more intensity than those singular 70watt lights.. i have a chart laying around here somewere that i picked up at a local hortaculture shop a while back.. ill find it an post some info from it.. but its basically a chart giving detailed numbers on the lumen amount per inch you move away from the bulb, i know there are some conversions somewere on the net that should say how many lumens are lost per inch of water depth, or per 2 or 3 or 6 inches of depth.

most low wattage HID's are very in-efficient.

this info comes from years of using halides, and sodium lights growing plants indoor's.

hope this helps and doesnt confuse.

That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?That would be great I would love to see a pic. Did you like the dimensions on this tank? I actually got it for free. I have a normal 55 gallon but the length and width bothers me. I was leaning towards the 4x39w. What do you think about 3x70? Would the light make it to the bottom?

easy on that coffee...just kidding

The tank is an Oceanic tank, and I loved it. Its the same dimensions of a 40 breeder but taller which I loved. I'll be in Orlando for work training till late friday niht and I can post a few pics. If you go to the 2nd page of this forum and see a thread along the lines of "58 gallons of joy...(blah blah blah)" or something along those lines you'll see the specs of it. I don't think you'd be too happy with the 3 x 70 watt MH.

Whoops didn't mean to double post. Thanks for that info on halides seagul. So the 3x70 is out. Now I need help deciding between 2x150, 1x250 or 4x39 T5. Plus I need to know if I can drill the bottom. If not I am thinking false wall.

I wouldn't do 1 MH on a 3ft tank. I tried it on my old 40br, and the light just doesn't spread all the way to the sides.

Be careful in planning on how you're going to make the transfer from the 20L to the new tank if the 20L is going to be the sump. I did the same thing on my new tank. My old 40 became the sump for the new 120. But in moving everything out of the 40 and into a holding tank until the 120 was ready, I had a lot of water quality issues and lost a few corals. I guess just be careful to keep an eye on the water quality across the board, and not just what's going on in the new tank.

Archived