Cultivated Reef

lighting question

phishhead

I bought a ViaAqua 11 gal last weekend and it has a pretty good lighting system with 2 PC's 2x18w and when i bought the tank and hood the LFS guy said the ViaAqua specifically designed the set up for a reef tank. I want more light b/c i've heard that the clams require more light to thrive. So i've been looking on Ebay trying to find a pendent and MH. Are the round pendents ok? should i get a square one. Any suggestions on wattage or Kelvin outpul 10k,20k etc... Thanks in advance for any suggestions. James

I've seen the Viaqua tanks..they tend to be tall and slim, right? If so..a round pendant would be fine..its only on the longer tanks that you'll want a boxy, square one. I'd shoot for something in the 175 range...175-250w...color temp is entirely up to you...6500K seems to produce the fastest growth...but looks very ugly and yellow in my opinion. I sacrifice the fast growth for the nice bluish tint of a 20000K bulb. Just looks that much better to me. A good compromise is something in the 10-14000K range...they aren't too yellow and you don't sacrifice fast growth. Go find some local reefers tanks, or shop tanks, and look at different color temps...pick whichever you like.

HTH...

Archived