Cultivated Reef

Uh Huh...it's a Stock AP12

JavaJacketOC

So this is my thread...I prolly should have started one when I got the tank going but I didn't so I'll try and remember as much as I can. This tank has been set up for about a month and a half and I haven't modded anything except the surface skimmer and changed the pump to a mj 900. After seeing all the amazing tanks on this site I already want to set up another tank that I can personalize but I don't have the room or the funds to do what I want right now...so I'm gonna see how far I can get with a stock 12 gallon Aquapod. I've read all the light mods, fan mods, etc and I've decided I don't want to do that. Heres how it's gone down so far:

08/15 Set up old 12g Nanocube.

Added old dried out and new liverock

Cycled

09/06 Moved everything to a 12g Aquapod (NC cracked for some reason)

Cycled for a few more days...water tested good so added CUC

Front tank shot:

post-30762-1191128616_thumb.jpg

Hitchhiker that made it through the cycle

post-30762-1191128674_thumb.jpg

09/12 Hit the LFS for some inexpensive coral to get the fever going. Here's what I got:

post-30762-1191128448_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1191128527_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1191128579_thumb.jpg

Left everything alone for about a week then came across some blue zoo's that djchristone had so I picked this nice frag up...unfortunately they look better under MH but still pretty decent in my tank:

post-30762-1191128869_thumb.jpg

Ok so the blue zoo's held me over for about 3 days...hit the LFS up again, brought home

Tonga Blue/Lavendar Shrooms. Nothing spectacular but I liked the color and the texture of them

post-30762-1191129127_thumb.jpg

And this Red/Green Folded Brain

post-30762-1191129184_thumb.jpg

Cont:

So I had decided that I wanted a pair of B/W clowns and I had been holding out since the cycle completed to see if any of my LFS's got some in...of course they didn't so I picked up a standard Ocellaris clown. So far he's proven to be a total FOB and I'm not sure if I like him...lol I know that sounds mean but so far I'm not too happy with him...just not fun like a clown should be...we'll see if he perks up.

09/27 Hit the LFS AGAIN...I swore I was just bored and was only gonna look...so here's what I came home with:

Small Fox Coral...dunno why but I've always liked them and the price was right

post-30762-1191129830_thumb.jpg

The following day I decided to add B-Ionic to the Kent Stront/Mylo and Iodine I was dosing with. This led me to yet another new LFS. As I was walking in I kept telling myself "I'm only gonna get the B-Ionic, that's all I need, I'll just look to see if he has anything that I might be interested in later". Here's what I came home with:

I was gonna go with the solid green lobo but I liked the texture of this one...ufortunately the camera doesn't do it great justice...it actually has a pink hue to the pimply textured parts

post-30762-1191130063_thumb.jpg

Here's an actinic shot

post-30762-1191130098_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

Some new additions:

Looks to be whammin watermelons...found some nice blues on the underside I didn't initally see

post-30762-1191302267_thumb.jpg

Some more WWM's and a rock of mixed, might be green lanterns

post-30762-1191302388_thumb.jpg

Not the best picture and looked similar to golden eyes when under t5's when I picked them out but the color looks more sulferous under PC's...dunno what the closed ones are but hopefully they'll be fun!

post-30762-1191302403_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

10/06 Update. Got some nice Paly's from Pickle010...and now Paly's are catching my eye...great..here we go.

New FTS

post-30762-1191724661_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1191724682_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1191724700_thumb.jpg

JavaJacketOC

I know right. It's official though...I hate the stock canopy on my AP with the passion of the christ....found a thread on DIY 70 MH for about 80 bucks so I'll be upgrading that before I spend any more on coral...oh yeah...and I'm running out of room, LOL

I know right. It's official though...I hate the stock canopy on my AP with the passion of the christ....found a thread on DIY 70 MH for about 80 bucks so I'll be upgrading that before I spend any more on coral...oh yeah...and I'm running out of room, LOL

lol, happened with mine after only 6 months, running out of room I mean. ;) But yeah, the stock hood indeed sucks. The 70w MH mod is increasingly coming more popular. If I still had mine (took it down mid January and sold it last month) I'd definitely mod up with the 70w MH. Out of curiosity, do you have the ICA? If not you'll almost for sure need it along with the 70w MH retro as it'll get hot under there.

JavaJacketOC
lol, happened with mine after only 6 months, running out of room I mean. ;) But yeah, the stock hood indeed sucks. The 70w MH mod is increasingly coming more popular. If I still had mine (took it down mid January and sold it last month) I'd definitely mod up with the 70w MH. Out of curiosity, do you have the ICA? If not you'll almost for sure need it along with the 70w MH retro as it'll get hot under there.

Yeah, stock hood = not wonderful yet. The LFS i bought the AP from is kinda being lame about swapping my stock hood for the HQI...they told me to email current, which I did, they said the LFS can do it and that thier rep could handle it all. LFS doesn't seem to want to handle anything. They said that the rep told them it's a completly diffrent set up...not so true...the tank lip looks slightly diffrent but not a huge deal. I don't really get it actually since I'm trying to give them more money. I found a leak in my tank today at the front top corner...nothing problematic but I suppose I could pitch a fit and tell them I want the whole tank replaced under warranty...but I dunno if that's worth the hassle to do all that and then still pay another 100 for the sunpod. epicfish said that he had a convo kit and I've been looking into the DIY 70w MH...I've found a couple good threads but would prefer to just buy it ready to go so we'll see what he has. I haven't gotten a chiller as of yet...the room the tank is in is kept at 76 deesgrees so it gets up to 79-80 with the lights and pump during the day and my heater makes up for any diffrence at night. So far no problems. I kinda don't wanna put a lot of money into this tank because I know it's just a matter of time before I'm gonna wanna get a bigger tank...just waiting for the right cube to call my name(Saw a 60g cube tank and stand for like 350...that's bigger than i would want but still...had to grind my teeth for a min while I stared). I figure this one will be decent for a frag tank or QT tank or something if I do decide to go bigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated this for a while. I haven't modded the hood but I did switch to an 18" T-5 HO 2x20. I'll be getting another light for the tank soon, but wanted to give this a trial run. So far so good. Here are some new adds

Black clown goby, haven't gotten a picture yet

Here's the before and after pics of the lighting

post-30762-1193381730_thumb.jpg

post-30762-1193381753_thumb.jpg

Docking mount mod...more of a bend then mod but it's working

post-30762-1193381800_thumb.jpg

Dragon's Breath with long skirt

post-30762-1193381637_thumb.jpg

Yuma(looks to be purple and pink but still coloring up)

post-30762-1193381696_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived